5758 posts

Re: Ley Lines
Nov 09, 2010, 17:20
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
juamei wrote:
http://www.standupmaths.com/woolworths/

Given a large enough set of data points on a map and you can draw anything you like.

Watkins talked about lines of sight and straight lines across a relatively small area. Personally I'm still open to that possibility.

I'm definitely not open however to 100 mile long energy lines going across the country eg St Michaels line... To this scientist, its unsubstantiated belief, no fact what so ever.

Couldn't agree more, especially the middle bit, which is the beautiful baby that gets thrown out with the ridiculous bath water.

Why go in a straight line ? Apart from Richard Long , in real life/topography i.e. away from maps , it's rarely the quickest option .

But did it mean that you had to go directly in a straight line to reach the next marker? Presumably it was just a way of reaching a destination for strangers (why would a local person need directions if they were short distances in small areas?) so as long as you ended up at each 'marker' along the way you would get there eventually. I am of course assuming each marker was within view of each other and you could look back toward where you had just come from to get your bearings to the next, irrespective of how winding your path had been.

I don't buy the Watkins idea any more than the energy one .You could fill a book with the problems .He didn't have the benefit of palynology which might have shown that many of the lines of sight would have been obscured at the time of build of one or even all of the markers . The varying types of markers were built over millenia from the Neolithic to at least the Norman invasion. Some would have been very time consuming when all that was needed was a cairn or standing stone .On the early tracks that we are aware of there are no examples of ley markers i.e. Ridgeway , Icknieldway , Sweet Track etc . When you do find markers to indicate routes they are rarely in a straight line . Do tracks need markers in the first place .Wouldn't a guide book be required to tell which marker relates to which route .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index