Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Ley Lines
Nov 09, 2010, 12:47
tiompan wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
juamei wrote:
http://www.standupmaths.com/woolworths/

Given a large enough set of data points on a map and you can draw anything you like.

Watkins talked about lines of sight and straight lines across a relatively small area. Personally I'm still open to that possibility.

I'm definitely not open however to 100 mile long energy lines going across the country eg St Michaels line... To this scientist, its unsubstantiated belief, no fact what so ever.

Couldn't agree more, especially the middle bit, which is the beautiful baby that gets thrown out with the ridiculous bath water.

Why go in a straight line ? Apart from Richard Long , in real life/topography i.e. away from maps , it's rarely the quickest option .

But did it mean that you had to go directly in a straight line to reach the next marker? Presumably it was just a way of reaching a destination for strangers (why would a local person need directions if they were short distances in small areas?) so as long as you ended up at each 'marker' along the way you would get there eventually. I am of course assuming each marker was within view of each other and you could look back toward where you had just come from to get your bearings to the next, irrespective of how winding your path had been.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index