Nov 11, 2010, 09:14
Mustard wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Jane wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
megadread wrote:
Jane wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:

So what has happened since, is the ley-line idea still fashionable or simply seen as a hit and miss or chance thing? .

Yep. It's unproven mumbo jumbo. There are so many things in the landscape that if you look for patterns for long enough you'll always find things that line up. Just cos they do doesn't mean anything.

Wot she said.

No. I don't agree at all, but then it's all down to the experience/experiencer. That way possibilities lie.

:-)

Au contraire. Experience proves nothing. Only repeatable scientific experiments prove things.

:-) back atcha!

That's utter nonsense. Personal sentient experience is completely valid.

There may be that which is scientifically unmeasurable and unprovable. Such a thing doesn't require god, since it's perfectly feasible that the universe isn't laid out in its entirety in a form that we can observe and label. Therefore personal experience would become more significant that science in these areas - theoretically speaking.

On the other hand, once you start to give weight to "personal sentient experience" when attempting to arrive at objective truths, you hit the problem that "personal sentient experience" is different for every human being, and our minds are capable of quite gargantuan feats of... well, self-delusion.

Many Christians, for example, are convinced that they've been visited by the Virgin Mary, or that they've spoken to Jesus. I don't believe that they're lying or mentally ill, and I don't believe in God. So that would tend to suggest that objective, real experiences are filtered through the lens of personal belief in such a way that allows the mind to frame them in a personally meaningful fashion. Put simply, "personal sentient experience" is real but subjective, and it can't be relied upon when attempting to extrapolate objective truths. In my personal, sentient opinion, of course. ;)

Well my own personal experinces have not been 'filtered', and many can be corroborated as they were witnessed by completely detached third parties.
If something is unproven, it is just that, unproven, and therefore warranting further expploration before any classification can be made. The case thus remains open. To therefore dismiss it as 'mumbo jumbo' is a sweeping statement to say the least, and completely unscientific.

:-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index