Cope vs. The Clash

158 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9572 posts

Edited Dec 15, 2009, 00:22
Re: Cope vs. The Clash
Dec 15, 2009, 00:21
Probably not that different, MYE. I didn't stop buying 'old fart' stuff overnight. I mixed and matched for a few years.

As for Clapton, I'm too young (that's not a phrase I use often these days!) to have followed him at his peak, which is surely his Cream days.

I bought the Layla dbl LP when I was about 15 as I was innocent enough to believe the critics who labelled it as a classic (Eric was, after all, 'God'!). Actually, I liked it at the time, well some of it anyway (the title track wasn't so over-familiar back then), but what has he done since I Shot The Sheriff? Hours and hours of soul-less pap, the so-called blues dressed in an unbecoming Armani suit.

I remember watching a documentary on him in the 80's. He said he preferred his demo's to his finshed albums. Well I guess you could say that this was being refreshingly honest. On the other hand, if someone of his stature won't stand up the record company, what chance was there for anyone else? And if he doesn't think the album is as good as it could be, why should we waste our time listening to it?

I agree that Brits are too eager to knock things, but other than Wonderful Tonight which might be sentimental shit but at least has a half decent tune, everything else I've heard by Clapton these past 35 yrs has been little short of a disgrace.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index