158 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Re: Cope vs. The Clash
Dec 14, 2009, 13:35
Lord Lucan wrote:
Reading through Cope's review of the month I was really chuffed to read someone put into words what I've always felt about The Clash. I've never liked them, even though I've often felt on my own on this one. They've always struck me as humourless and overly earnest with a daft load of macho posturing and, at their worst, patronising. And anything that feels the need to declare itself as 'authentic' has always struck me as suspect. Protesting too much to be convincing. And the same goes for The Manic Street Preachers whose only difference is the willingness to use make-up. At last it's OK to say that The Clash say nothing to me about my life.

Why are you Brits so quick to slag off your rock musicians?
First off {not to just the O.P., but in general, and musing out loud here}, It should be a rule here on this site that everybody has to show there age.
Because is it worth it to even bother arguing about a band or artist with a person that wasn't even old enough to have lived through that era? Or were 10 years old? How the fuck does that person contextualize that era?
Or it's politics? As written and sung by 20 year olds? 30 years ago!
It would seem that Rock and Roll history is being currently Re-written by 35 year olds, right before my eyes. Re-written by people who never even owned the original records in the first place, and likely have heard the music they 'Know' all about as a stolen downloads in low fucking bitrate on an ipod through tiny earphones. Oh and a Google WIKI page. INSTANT expert.
That said.....The list of artists that get slagged off here on a regular basis just stuns me...

Clapton, Floyd, The Clash{now}, Genesis,ELP, YES,....loads of others....

KRAUT-ROCK is WAAAaaaaaayyyyyy better.....Or so i'm told.

I really didn't personally give a shit about most 80's music. I was too busy spending my bread on back catalog that i finally had the money to afford, and rated far better on my meter than the 'Flock of{fucking} seagulls'.
Roy Buchanon and Danny Gatton were more my speed in those days.
I grew up in the 60's and 70's in AWE of Clapton. I'm gonna have some snot nose tell me he 'Sucks' now? Please.....What he wasn't consistantly 'Brilliant' enough for 45 years straight? He should just fuck off and quit playing music now because some snob says so?
Strummer....i didn't really pay too much attention the first time, he was part of my younger brothers stuff. I did really wake up to his output with the Mescalero's though. About the only musically and lyrically optimistic look to the future i remember from the 90's. Some days i desperately need that.
Strummer,The guy served too. I know....i'm old enough to remember.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index