The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2009, 14:21
Re: Cope vs. The Clash
Dec 14, 2009, 14:20
IanB wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
Agreed. I always disliked them, too. Too po-faced and serious, which - given that Strummer was always a posho pretending to be a working class hero - is not a good attribute. Plus, "Sandinista" bores the ass off me. There's never been any excuse for triple albums (awaits reciminations from angry Yes and ELP fans).

Not too keen on ELP, but Yes, from The Yes Album through to Going For The One, were magnificent. It's not all Van Der Graaf and Krautrock on this boat. Tales From Topographic oceans is a great work.

I was with you all the way to the last sentence. TFTO would have been a pretty great 45 minutes if they had dumped all but five minutes of sides 2 & 3. Maybe I missed something but musically it strikes me as being the "Sandinista" of Prog - too much ego at work with no strong editorial hand. Did I miss something important on those middle two sides? For me 15 minutes of "Awaken" reaches the parts that 90 minutes of TFTO can't reach.

I just think that there's some very interesting things going on. Granted, it doesn't all work, but when it meshes it's brilliant. I think because of the weaker rambling moments, people don't bother sticking at it with an open ear, so to speak. It is a rampant behemoth of course, but there's some wonderful things going on in there that don't merit it the overly maligned reputation. In a way, it sums up everthing that's great and bad about prog. Maybe that's also why I'm so fond of it.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index