Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2009, 14:53
Re: Cope vs. The Clash
Dec 14, 2009, 14:19
machineryelf wrote:
for the record I was born in 62, and I feel fully entitled to voice my opinion on anything because it's my opinion only, it's not gospel , it's the way I see it.
I know for a fact that mine , Ian B's & Keith A's memories of the glorious revolution of 77 are completely different because we were in different places, listening to different music with different people
It's a forum and we all have opinions on music , music which has no absolutes bar one Bryan Adams & that robin hood song- not a good thing

Tis true. Punk was just another form of hard rock riffage in my book and all but a few of the musicians were bandwagon jumpers who then proceeded to kick away the grasping hands of any other latecomers. I loved the fact that Punk pissed people off much more than any of the actual music and when Peel championed all the sub-Mekons "can't practice / wont practice" bands that's when it kinda got boring.

So I can see no contradiction between buying and liking "Teenage Depression", "Damned Damned Damned", Magazine's "Real Lfe", "Going For The One", Weather Report's "Black Market", "Rainbow Rising" and "Technical Ecstasy" all within a fairly short time frame. I think some of Punk was real in the sense that there were artists who genuinely tried to live the rhetoric - Mark Stewart for definite - but most Punk wasn't any more "real" than a Roger Dean cover. Or any other kind of creativity that has some artifice about it.

I am not sure what is worse the rock fan who expects the artist to live the art or the rock artist who tries to make us believe that he does. Did Camus have to be a killer to write "The Stranger"? What if he had said that he did when he didn't?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index