Cope vs. The Clash

158 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Cope vs. The Clash
Dec 14, 2009, 23:27
Shit! I love the fact that half this thread turned out to be about Eric Clapton, who I never had any interest in and have no real opinion of.

Anyway, apologies to anyone who complained that this topic had been covered before. I wasn't aware of that. It must have been really annoying having to read this whole thread.

I was intrigued by Cope's comments, and as someone who was shouted down regularly when I was younger if I ever questioned the godlike genius of Strummer and co by friends and fellow music lovers, I'm surprised to read that so many people here feel the same way I do. The people who shouted me down then did buy into the 'authenticity' trip, to the point of ridiculing me for liking music with nonsensical lyrics and stuff that went beyond using the guitar/drums/bass/vocals formula. But then some of these people were SWP drones, so what did I expect?

Just want to make something clear about the 'authenticity' thing that I mentioned in my opening post. I personally don't need authenticity, whatever that may be, from a band. I think it's a totally overrated concept and can stifle a band's creativity as they tie themselves up in knots trying to achieve it. I'm quite happy for music I listen to to be made by people with imagination willing to use any means at their disposable. I'm not bothered if they're seen as poseurs, pseuds, 'actors' with a large dash of pretentiousness if it produces interesting music. Striving to be 'authentic' (an oxymoron, surely?) is just another pose anyway. I mean, look at Pink Floyd's 'The Wall'.

Actually, don't. That's another can of worms that really doesn't need opening any time soon.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index