Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1701 posts

Re: Cope vs. The Clash
Dec 15, 2009, 12:37
dodge one wrote:
Elf, were the same age.
In fact you, Ian, Hunter, Tones, a few others whose names escape me at the mo.....are more likely to get my attention on matters musical than most here. Simply because of the fact that i know we lived through those era's in particular.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Dodge, but I should own up here that I wasn't born till 1971! I think we worked out lately our dads were about the same age... mine didn't start having children till a lot later, obviously.

The Clash I think have been vastly over-rated and over-mythologised, especially since Strummer's premature death. But I do quite like their records, and I will even confess to a particular soft spot for Sandinista!
I think Mick Jones contributions are highly under-rated, too.

I was too young to see the Clash live, but I have friends who did and by all accounts they were a transcendent and inspiring live act at their peak. I think a lot of the reverence they're held in stems from those early live shows, and those who saw them... I didn't experience it, so don't 'get' the Clash in the same way. But I defer to the memories of those who were there.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index