125 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
eyeshakingking
eyeshakingking
379 posts

Re: Nice Jazz Recommendations.....you know, a bit like Kind Of Blue
Dec 04, 2009, 17:35
Stevo wrote:
Marie Maria gets slagged probably as much for her vocals on her boyfriend's lps as Yoko Ono & I think with more validity. She mars those last few, electric lps by Albert.

After 2 listens through, I really don't think her contributions are as dreadful as they have been made out. Apart from that one tune with the Irish/Jamaican hybrid accent attempt, I didn't find her vocals too intrusive. Overall, I'm enjoying the record - if it's supposedly one of his lesser works, it makes me very excited to hear Spiritual Unity/Love Cry/Greenwich Village etc.

Stevo wrote:
You might enjoy that record though. i think you're into pretty weird black music aren't you? Though there I think they're taking leads from white rock.

I guess I am. I mean, I was familiar w/ other 'Fire Music' records by the likes of Dolphy/Ornette/late Coltrane/Sun Ra/Sanders/Art Ensemble of Chicago/Cecil Taylor etc before I picked up that Ayler, so I had been 'scorched' before, & knew what I was getting myself into, to some extent. Agreed re: cues from white rock though, what with the utopian/hippie lyrics and that. Last track especially is pretty bluesy.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index