Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Edited Nov 27, 2009, 10:51
Re: Nice Jazz Recommendations.....you know, a bit like Kind Of Blue
Nov 27, 2009, 10:44
Jazz update:

After borrowing Giant Steps, Blue Train, Shape Of Jazz To Come and Black Saint from the library I may have changed my thinking about what I like jazz-wise. I think I'm more at home with the weirder end of the spectrum. Kind Of Blue is excellent, that's a given, but I'm kinda drawn more towards A Love Supreme rather than Giant Steps and Blue Train. Hard to put my finger on it, or describe why, but some jazz I just find a bit too, well, 'jazz'. Hahaha, pathetic isn't it. I'll give them a proper listen though as I know Coltrane is way up there and everything deserves more than one listen. Crescent shall stay rooted on my Xmas list.

Hunting for a sound-a-like for Kind Of Blue may be futile. I could just stick to having that from that jazz-spectrum.

Black Saint sounded good, some wonderful sounds going on there, almost orchestral in it's scope and depth. One to delve deeper into. Is Ah Um similar? Though I must say it started to get a bit samey on the headphones this morning.

Shape Of Jazz To Come I didn't really like, apart from the first track.

Maybe Miles is my man when it comes to jazz. I love In A Silent Way, On The Corner, Bitches Brew for their strange sounds, the vibe, funkiness, amplified warmth. Could be the path to continue down.

Looking forward to receiving Pharoah Sanders Tauhid thru the post.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index