The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Nov 24, 2009, 11:54
Re: Nice Jazz Recommendations.....you know, a bit like Kind Of Blue
Nov 24, 2009, 11:45
singingringingtree wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Mingus 'Ah Um' is a very good intro. His Black Saint And The Sinner Lady is one of the very greatest jazz recordings.

i'll second these - i tend to prefer the way out shit + the cosmic funky shit, but mingus hots the spot for me every time too ... "black saint .." is a MIGHTY record - like most of his stuff, it's brimming w/ tunes + the band is rocking ... more "composed" than a lot of jazz seems to me (i like certain jazz a lot, but am in no way a seasoned jazz-head, so cd be wrong), but w/ great swinging rocking elements that swell up here + there + get yr heart racing ... "ah uh" is good too, as is "blues + roots" ... in fact, i've never heard a mingus rec that was cack

+ i know it's in the "out-there" camp, but please check ornette's "lonely woman" + tell me it isn't the most achingly beautiful tune ever ... i can't imagine anyone not loving it

i need to listen to some thelonius monk again - any tips for a starting point?

I don't want to sound like the Alan Partridge approach to Monk, but the '69 'Greatest Hits'is a wonderful collection, largely played live with some re-interpretations ( he could give Dylan a run for his money on that one).

Also the Live At Carnegie Hall with John Coltrane is excellent.
My own favourite though is the double set Solo Monk. It's hard to describe or give justice to other than it's just Monk doing his thing !
Incomparable and you're really in an alternative state of Monk-Mind.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index