125 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Edited Nov 25, 2009, 10:57
Re: Nice Jazz Recommendations.....you know, a bit like Kind Of Blue
Nov 25, 2009, 10:40
I may have painted myself into a 'safe jazz' corner with my original post. I suppose it was what I requested but I do like to go a bit 'out there' as well, a honk & shrill gets my toe a tappin'.......it's just that I don't have the knowledge or fearlessness to take the leap and start purchasing random recordings.

This mornings travel to work was soundtracked by A Love Supreme (great drumming)and then On The Corner. Love both of them. Last night it was Flemenco Sketches over and over before bedtime. I love the melancholy feel of that track, so smooth, like a warm marshmellow dressing gown.....(or not).

Money is tight so I'll be reading up on some of these great recommendations, then dipping a toe into the unknown. I can imagine I'll pick up Coltranes 'Crescent' and Mingus Ah Um for starters. Anyone have Dave Brubecks Time Out?

Pharoah Sanders intrigues me, as does Ornette Colman....but I'm a tad scared of buying something then hating it. But having just read a review of Tauhid (thanks Dog 3000) I think I'll add that to the list as well. I see a new jazz path for me.....the spiritual stuff that makes me want to cry (been a tough few months after losing my brother in June so 'soul-journey' music is high on my list)

Cheers everyone. Mucho appreciato.x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index