125 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Nov 24, 2009, 17:51
Re: Nice Jazz Recommendations.....you know, a bit like Kind Of Blue
Nov 24, 2009, 17:47
Mingus, Mingus, Mingus!! As great a jazz genius as there ever was, and though his music breathes fire sometimes, it is always tasty & melodelicious. Among the highlights of his most fertile period (late 50's-early 60's) start with AH-UM, MINGUS DYNASTY, THE CLOWN, NEW TIJUANA MOODS.

Rahsaan Roland Kirk and Eric Dolphy are on the fence between "nice & cool" and "freaky & free" -- but THE INFLATED TEAR by the former or OUT TO LUNCH by the latter might do the trick. (You may develop a taste for these two while listening to Mingus, as both were in his band.)

Pharoah Sanders built on Coltrane's later (wilder) ideas, but at his best managed to capture that not-quite-so-out (still "nice") vibe of stuff like "A Love Supreme." Start with TAUHID or KARMA.

One I've just started getting into, and have very little music by (but it's great!) -- GABOR SZABO!! Funky gypsy guitar jazz.

As a general rule, anyone who played with Miles Davis is cool and their non-Miles work is also worth hearing: Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Cannonball Adderley, Gil Evans, etc. ad infinitum.

(I will not try to talk you into Archie Shepp, Sun Ra or Ornette Coleman, cuz that's not the sort of jazz you asked for! Though I would recommend FOUR FOR TRANE, INTERSTELLAR LOW-WAYS and CHANGE OF THE CENTURY as "nice" entry points for those if you're feeeling friiiisky.)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index