125 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 26, 2009, 09:43
Re: Nice Jazz Recommendations.....you know, a bit like Kind Of Blue
Nov 26, 2009, 09:40
I think a good way into the Ornette aesthetic is to get "Old and New Dreams" on ECM as it features Ornette stalwarts Don Cherry (t); Dewey Redman (ts, musette); Charlie Haden (b); Ed Blackwell (d) dedicated to playing Ornette tunes. Includes a killer version of Lonely Woman.

Beyind that "Science Fiction" is a really interesting record, especially as it features an Indian Playback Singer on two tracks. "Crisis" is the other Ornette I would think you might like looking at yout other interests. Features a great version of Song For Che and a deeply moving Broken Shadows. Puts the revolution into 33 RPM.

If you get those two plus Don Cherry's "Where is Brooklyn?" then you have a pretty good grasp of the Ornette approach to harmony.

There are three must-have Saunders albums - "Jewels of Thought", "Karma" and "Tauhid". Frankly I think he is a compostional lightweight but he has a killer tone and attack.

If you are interested in the Free / New Thing thing then I suggest you read Val Wilmer's "As Serious As Your Life" and get your hands on the following ....

Albert Ayler - Spiritual Unity
Ceclil Taylor - Silent Tongues
Art Ensemble of Chicago - Urban Bushmen (essential record this one)
Coltrane - Ascension
Ornette - Crisis
Roscoe Mitchell - Sound
Sun Ra - Nubians of Plutonia

and as much Alice Coltrane as you can find.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index