Nice Jazz Recommendations.....you know, a bit like Kind Of Blue

125 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

sun ra (again!)
Nov 26, 2009, 17:46
i have maybe 30+ sun ra on vinyl/CD/the odd CDR burn in my house, but had to hit http://www.the-temple.net/sunradisco/disco.html for most of the ones you mention:

The Year 2000 Myth Science

not heard it!

Secrets Of The Sun

not heard it! but "sunrise in outer space" is a LOVELY tune (cd be massively different version on here than the 2 i have) ... the vintage of this one looks like it's the best of this bunch as starting point ...bet this is good

Jazz In Silhouette

not heard, but v early so prob pretty "friendly" big band stuff ... "saturn" is great sun ra staple tune ... you may wonder what all the fuss is about if you started w/ this one (prob good, mind)

Friendly Galaxy

not heard! early 90s ..hmmmmm, not ideal starting point IMHO ... bet there are some good tunes on here - looks a little "greatest hits" (if ever such a thing cd exist)

Magic City.

i have this one - it's great, classic even, but wdn't really recommend it as a starting point, esp the abstruse sidelong title track ... if you get a taste for the world of sun ra, this is indispensible ... but i don't actually dig this one out that much TBH

Not much help, i know, but you have more than enough to keep you going w/ mingus, ornette + trane ... have fun + go easy!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index