Nice Jazz Recommendations.....you know, a bit like Kind Of Blue

Pages: 13 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Nice Jazz Recommendations.....you know, a bit like Kind Of Blue
Nov 24, 2009, 10:30
Where to go with the jazz thang? I've only got Miles Davis and Coltrane in my collection. My Miles Davis tends to be from his electric period apart from Kind Of Blue and Sketches Of Spain. Coltrane is A Love Supreme.

I hadn't played Kind Of Blue for years until this morning on the train and it was wonderful.

So....what to get that's in similar vein? Any artist will do. Nothing to out there or free form, just good head nodding and finger clicking vibes all around. Tinkling piano, skittering drums, warm trumpet and sax. Nice.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Edited Nov 24, 2009, 10:35
Re: Nice Jazz Recommendations.....you know, a bit like Kind Of Blue
Nov 24, 2009, 10:32
http://elasticrock.blogspot.com/search/label/Miles%20Davis
Fill yer boots.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Edited Nov 24, 2009, 10:52
Nov 24, 2009, 10:40
Also (at the risk of summoning Vybik Jon back in a storm of destructive ire), I went and saw this guy last week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkh3O54ZB7k&feature=related He's good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNoysM7dze4&feature=related

This weekend approaching sees Asaf Sirkis swing by Calamity County for, what I hope to be a groovy set.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Nov 24, 2009, 11:11
Nov 24, 2009, 10:56
Thelonius Monk and Charlie Mingus are an absolute. There's some very good Monk compilations to get started with, and Mingus 'Ah Um' is a very good intro. His Black Saint And The Sinner Lady is one of the very greatest jazz recordings.

I would then go deeper with Coltrane, and Alice Coltrane is a must. Unique, sublime and quite beautiful. Then I'd go for Pharoah Sanders, Mahavishnu Orchestra and John Mclaighlin's Shakti via Miles Davis's In A Silent Way, which kick started the afore mentioned jazz fusion scene.

Peace.

Edit: For some warming soulful guitar I would recommend Kenny Burrel 'At The five Spot Cafe' and Wes Montgomery 'Incredible Jazz Guitar of..'.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 25, 2009, 10:22
Nov 24, 2009, 11:00
If you want to stay away from the free and the atonal then this is what I would pick out for you ...

Coltrane - Crescent
The great man on the cusp of change. One foot in the blues and modal Miles territory and the other reaching for A Love Supreme and beyond. For me it's the essential JC release.

Mingus - Changes Two
Possibly his greatest small group. Brilliant tunes. Brilliant playing.

Cannonball Adderley - Something Else
Kind of Miles lite but with more of a traditional Ellington influence.

Dexter Gordon - Go!
One of the great straight up hard bop records. Clark Terry and Billy Higgins are fantastic on these sessions too.

Round Midnight - Soundtrack
OK, so it's an easy way in but it's got some gorgeous music on it.

Dollar Brand - African Piano
Hypnotic solo record that sets the scene for records like "Koln Concert". Steve Reich meets Fela Kuti for solo piano.

Don Cherry - Art Deco
A late Cherry album (1990 ish) and one of his most straight up / traditional. Occasionally slips the moorings and heads into "Free" territory but is basically a ballads and blues set. Texan James Clay is revelatory on tenor.

Ellington - Far East Suite
This to me is another essential purchase. Some of the greatest soloists in the world playing some of the most beautiful arrangements in jazz. Everything is economical and the minute it is over you want to play it all over again. Big band jazz for modernists.
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Edited Nov 24, 2009, 11:10
Nov 24, 2009, 11:08
Cheers for the info so far. I love the look of that blogspot, esp the cover for Miles In Central Park. I think I'll be spending a good evening lokking thru that lot.

I was just looking at Kind Of Blue on Amazon for further albums to get and a reviewer recommended Mingus Ah Um and Dave Brubeck Time Out as well. Will order the Mingus one and see how I go with that. The other two you mention get a nod on there as well.

In A Silent Way already sits proud in my collection. My first foray into the land of Miles, apart from Bitches Brew, was a 'remix' album called Panthalassa. Marvellous stuff. That got me into his electric sound but now I'm wanting more 'Dad relaxing at home' kinda vibes. Slippers, peppermint tea, plate of marmite on toast......jazz on the stereo.

Appreciated.
flatboxertwin
flatboxertwin
369 posts

Nov 24, 2009, 11:12
Lonesome Cowboy Bill wrote:
So....what to get that's in similar vein? Any artist will do. Nothing to out there or free form, just good head nodding and finger clicking vibes all around. Tinkling piano, skittering drums, warm trumpet and sax. Nice.

Horace Silver: Song for my Father. Classic & oft sampled Blue Note head nodding and finger clicking vibes.
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Nov 24, 2009, 11:14
The Sea Cat wrote:
Mingus 'Ah Um' is a very good intro. His Black Saint And The Sinner Lady is one of the very greatest jazz recordings.

i'll second these - i tend to prefer the way out shit + the cosmic funky shit, but mingus hots the spot for me every time too ... "black saint .." is a MIGHTY record - like most of his stuff, it's brimming w/ tunes + the band is rocking ... more "composed" than a lot of jazz seems to me (i like certain jazz a lot, but am in no way a seasoned jazz-head, so cd be wrong), but w/ great swinging rocking elements that swell up here + there + get yr heart racing ... "ah uh" is good too, as is "blues + roots" ... in fact, i've never heard a mingus rec that was cack

+ i know it's in the "out-there" camp, but please check ornette's "lonely woman" + tell me it isn't the most achingly beautiful tune ever ... i can't imagine anyone not loving it

i need to listen to some thelonius monk again - any tips for a starting point?
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Nov 24, 2009, 11:35
Miles himself
Milestones, the Miles + Coltrane box, all of the Classic Quintet material 65-68.

Ornette Coleman (a bit freer)
Shape of Jazz to Come, This Is Our Music, Something Else! Change Of The Century

Don Ellis Electric Bath

Eddie Gale Ghetto Music

Larry Young
Unity
Lawrence of Newark

Sonny sharrock Ask The Ages (could go further into him but he's really noisy elsewhere)

Et Cetera, Kraan, Embryo are all krautrock stuff that's pretty groovy fusiony stuff at least early on.

You could check out earlier stuff on Proper. Their Bebop spoken Here, Duke ellington & Count Basie sets are all pretty great,as are many others. 4cds for pretty liottle, have seen these boxes at 9sterling a pop (my wonderful keyboard has interchanged or duplicated several keys & I don't knopw how to correct).

Sure I'll think of others if I cogitate on the subject.
Stevo
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Nov 24, 2009, 11:54
Nov 24, 2009, 11:45
singingringingtree wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Mingus 'Ah Um' is a very good intro. His Black Saint And The Sinner Lady is one of the very greatest jazz recordings.

i'll second these - i tend to prefer the way out shit + the cosmic funky shit, but mingus hots the spot for me every time too ... "black saint .." is a MIGHTY record - like most of his stuff, it's brimming w/ tunes + the band is rocking ... more "composed" than a lot of jazz seems to me (i like certain jazz a lot, but am in no way a seasoned jazz-head, so cd be wrong), but w/ great swinging rocking elements that swell up here + there + get yr heart racing ... "ah uh" is good too, as is "blues + roots" ... in fact, i've never heard a mingus rec that was cack

+ i know it's in the "out-there" camp, but please check ornette's "lonely woman" + tell me it isn't the most achingly beautiful tune ever ... i can't imagine anyone not loving it

i need to listen to some thelonius monk again - any tips for a starting point?

I don't want to sound like the Alan Partridge approach to Monk, but the '69 'Greatest Hits'is a wonderful collection, largely played live with some re-interpretations ( he could give Dylan a run for his money on that one).

Also the Live At Carnegie Hall with John Coltrane is excellent.
My own favourite though is the double set Solo Monk. It's hard to describe or give justice to other than it's just Monk doing his thing !
Incomparable and you're really in an alternative state of Monk-Mind.
Pages: 13 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index