Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

James Booker
Nov 25, 2009, 02:06
New Orleans great.
He was the whole ball of wax.
Certainly one of the finest American Pianists that ever lived.
GAY
HEROIN ADDICTED
TROUBLED GENIOUS

If you do not have his album 'JUNCO PARTNER' on your shelf, your collection has a gaping hole. He could play anything........from the Barrell House to the most elegant moving pieces.

PIXIE 1978:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifAXV4LQ9S4

TRUE 1978:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Wv-HYKat4&feature=related

GONZO...1960 on the Hammond.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7FXDnlf9kQ&feature=related

Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Booker

This guy was special.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Re: Nice Jazz Recommendations.....you know, a bit like Kind Of Blue
Nov 25, 2009, 09:45
No. That's the new tailor they're visiting these days. The baggier cut of those latest jackets and jazz trousers give that effect to the uninitiated viewer.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Nov 25, 2009, 09:52
Every Tuesday I do life drawing at a lovely big modern media studio. And as ever, last night I was called upon to supply something from my CD collection for inspiration. Well, this went in the machine and was getting nods of approval from all concerned: http://www.tru-thoughts.co.uk/releases/Nostalgia-77/TRU123

I'd like to heartily recommend this be added to your list of future purchases!

On returning home, still feeling in something of a jazz trance, I watched a recording of 'The Jazz Baroness' http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/dec/22/jazz
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Edited Nov 25, 2009, 10:57
Nov 25, 2009, 10:40
I may have painted myself into a 'safe jazz' corner with my original post. I suppose it was what I requested but I do like to go a bit 'out there' as well, a honk & shrill gets my toe a tappin'.......it's just that I don't have the knowledge or fearlessness to take the leap and start purchasing random recordings.

This mornings travel to work was soundtracked by A Love Supreme (great drumming)and then On The Corner. Love both of them. Last night it was Flemenco Sketches over and over before bedtime. I love the melancholy feel of that track, so smooth, like a warm marshmellow dressing gown.....(or not).

Money is tight so I'll be reading up on some of these great recommendations, then dipping a toe into the unknown. I can imagine I'll pick up Coltranes 'Crescent' and Mingus Ah Um for starters. Anyone have Dave Brubecks Time Out?

Pharoah Sanders intrigues me, as does Ornette Colman....but I'm a tad scared of buying something then hating it. But having just read a review of Tauhid (thanks Dog 3000) I think I'll add that to the list as well. I see a new jazz path for me.....the spiritual stuff that makes me want to cry (been a tough few months after losing my brother in June so 'soul-journey' music is high on my list)

Cheers everyone. Mucho appreciato.x
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Nov 25, 2009, 10:57
Lonesome Cowboy Bill wrote:

Pharoah Sanders intrigues me, as does Ornette Colman....but I'm a tad scared of buying something then hating it.

I know that FOPP and I think a couple of other places had Ornette cds for 5Sterling a pop last Xmas. I think I picked up Pharaoh's Tauhid for about 7, & it may have been cheaper in there. Thembi & Karma may be about the same. But the Anthology which was around for about 9 may be a perfect starting point.

stevo
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Nov 25, 2009, 11:03
My Miles Davis tends to be from his electric period apart from Kind Of Blue and Sketches Of Spain.

hang on, does this mean you don't have much (any?) of Miles's "classic quintet" stuff from the 60s? if you like "in a a silent way" you've GOTTA check "filles de kilamanjaro" (the transition from acoustic to electric?) ... then hit "ESP" + "miles smiles", both of which are great i reckon
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Nov 25, 2009, 11:15
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
...you cannot beat Jacques Loussier with his Play Bach stuff.

Ooh, I forgot him! We saw him play in Shrewsbury, a few years ago. A gang of us went, as it was Lady Calamity's birthday.

By sheer coincidence, and unbeknown to us, it was his birthday, too! At the encore the venue's management brought out a huge birthday cake - and... yup, you guessed it, Lady Calamity started getting to her feet. To this day I still regret stopping her from misguidedly walking down to the stage thinking she was about to accept her surprise cake, in front of a full house. Next time, though... Next time...
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Edited Nov 25, 2009, 11:22
Nov 25, 2009, 11:17
singingringingtree wrote:
My Miles Davis tends to be from his electric period apart from Kind Of Blue and Sketches Of Spain.

hang on, does this mean you don't have much (any?) of Miles's "classic quintet" stuff from the 60s? if you like "in a a silent way" you've GOTTA check "filles de kilamanjaro" (the transition from acoustic to electric?) ... then hit "ESP" + "miles smiles", both of which are great i reckon

Nope, none of those feature in my collection. I've got Miles In The Sky, Kind Of Blue, Sketches Of Spain, On The Corner, Bitches Brew, Dark Magus, Live At The Fillmore East 1970, In A Silent Way, Get Up With It. Then Coltranes A Love Supreme. That's my jazz collection in a nutshell.

Oh, and some Nina Simone as well, can't recall which ones.
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Nov 25, 2009, 11:32
wow! you have the wonderful world of coltrane still to dive into! i'm jealous ... i'd second ian's "crescent" recommendation + i'm also v fond of "africa/brass" ... once you get the taste tho, you may be onto "ascension" + "om" before you know it! (+ if you can take something as in yr face abrasive as miles's "on the corner", you'll prob be fine going w/ coltrane as far out as he goes ... he gets skronky at times, but he never stops SWINGING)
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Nov 25, 2009, 12:23
Dog 3000 wrote:

One I've just started getting into, and have very little music by (but it's great!) -- GABOR SZABO!! Funky gypsy guitar jazz.

Didn't he do the original of Breezin? The George Benson hit in the mid seventies.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index