Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Nice Jazz Recommendations.....you know, a bit like Kind Of Blue
Nov 27, 2009, 10:50
Lonesome Cowboy Bill wrote:

Hunting for a sound-a-like for Kind Of Blue may be futile. I could just stick to having that from that jazz-spectrum.

Funny, would have thought the influence from that lp would be permeating a great deal of what came after it. to the extent that you'd have people trying to mimic it. Though possibly in doing so you lose the essence of its being.

Stevo
MC
638 posts

Nov 27, 2009, 12:21
Mingus Live in Paris 1964
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Nov 27, 2009, 14:46
Most jazz leaves me disapointed as i find it... well.... dull! Don't think you will find any jazz out there that you will enjoy more than the miles electric period. I haven't. Then as i am sure has been mentioned there are all miles' fusion offshoots to explore like mahavishnu orchestra, herbie hancock and billy cobham.

I kinda like the tail end of Coltrane's career when it was free form which led me to look at the likes of Ornette coleman, pharoah sanders, Alice Coltrane and Eric Dolphy - but it is not as enjoyable as that Miles period for me.

I have been to a couple of jazz gigs in recent months and thoroughly enjoyed them actually. Mainly because you could kinda put them under the fusion label. They were The Partisans and Asaf Sirkis Trio. Check out their myspace pages
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Nov 27, 2009, 17:13
Dave Douglas goes for that bluesy Miles vibe

Modern Jazz Quartet, Stan Kenton, and Stan Getz all have a similar lowkey late night feel.

Next step George Russell
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Edited Nov 29, 2009, 13:20
Nov 29, 2009, 13:16
Get some Brubeck into your life: 'Time Out' (and its similarly named sequels) is the obvious choice, but I rate the 'Jazz Impressions of...' series more highly. There is an abundance of good compilations around too, but stick to the Columbia label to get the classic quartet featuring the great Paul Desmond.

If you want a similar disc to 'Kind Of Blue', check out Cannonball Adderley's 'Something Else' - a Blue Note classic as cool as you can get. Another Blue Note gem is Lee Morgan's 'The Sidewinder', the title track of which might just be the most finger-snappin' tune ever.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Nov 29, 2009, 13:35
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Another Blue Note gem is Lee Morgan's 'The Sidewinder', the title track of which might just be the most finger-snappin' tune ever.

Lee Morgan's Sidewinder. Oh yes!
Somebody else must also have mentioned Oscar Peterson, but just in case,
OSCAR PETERSON.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Nov 29, 2009, 14:20
heard he was a mate of Keith Emerson didn't I?
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Nov 29, 2009, 19:57
Nov 29, 2009, 19:52
"Another Blue Note gem is Lee Morgan's 'The Sidewinder'"

Great album but unfortunately the record that Morgan is always remembered by because of it's commercial success for a jazz album at the time.
The gems Lee Morgan should be remembered by IMO are 'Search for the New Land' and 'the Gigolo' - both featuring great playing from Wayne Shorter too.

8)
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Nov 29, 2009, 20:13
Nov 29, 2009, 20:06
"Hunting for a sound-a-like for Kind Of Blue may be futile. I could just stick to having that from that jazz-spectrum."

As Kind of blue is as much a great Bill Evans album as a Miles Davis one, you may want to check out more Bill Evans albums. You can't go wrong with many of them. Good one to start is Bill Evans trio - 'Explorations' (1961), with Evans, Scott Lafaro and Paul Motian. There's a great version of Miles's 'Nardis' on this record.
This period of jazz - 'cool jazz', produced many great albums from the time. Seek and ye shall find discarded gems sparkling in the darkest corners waiting for the love of fresh ears.

There's a broad world of great jazz out there besides the cosmic or avant garde.

8)
LMan
LMan
763 posts

Nov 29, 2009, 23:50
dave clarkson wrote:
"Another Blue Note gem is Lee Morgan's 'The Sidewinder'"

Great album but unfortunately the record that Morgan is always remembered by because of it's commercial success for a jazz album at the time.
The gems Lee Morgan should be remembered by IMO are 'Search for the New Land' and 'the Gigolo' - both featuring great playing from Wayne Shorter too.

8)

I haven't heard "The Gigolo", but "Search For The New Land" is one of my Morgan favourites.

Another great album I forgot in my previous post is "Cool Struttin'" by Sonny Clark. :-)
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index