Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Nov 26, 2009, 11:31
Re: Nice Jazz Recommendations.....you know, a bit like Kind Of Blue
Nov 26, 2009, 11:30
That would be wonderful and much appreciated 'Tree. I've just googled it, and it was apparently criticised by flathead fundamentalists at the time. Cloth-eared, obviously. It sounds sublime to me.

I loved Huntington Ashram Monastery/World Galaxy. What's your take on the McLaughlin Shakti stuff.
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Edited Nov 26, 2009, 12:15
Nov 26, 2009, 11:39
The Library!! Why didn't I think of the library!! I used to do it way back in my school days with heavy metal vinyl but have ignored the delights of borrowing ever since. I live near Southend On Sea but work about a 15 walk from the Barbican so may pop along (or would I need to join my local one I wonder). Failing that Southend has a great library and I need to join it anyway for my little girl. Cheers for reminding me about thee olde worldy way of 'nicking' music.

As for Spotify. I've never jumped on board the downloading wagon as I've always preferred a hard copy....but it would be ideal for checking sounds out before buying, and possibly regretting.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Nov 26, 2009, 11:44
Nov 26, 2009, 11:43
I've built up a huge amount of otherwise unaffordable great stuff via the Library. I also order stuff through their website. It's amazing what's out there. Great hard to find blues, jazz, psych,krautrock,prog etc.
A true goldmine.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Nov 26, 2009, 11:45
If you work near enough to the Barbican, take proof of your work address to them and they'll let you join. They have a really good music section there because of their association with the Giuldhall School Of Music. Specifically they have a comprehensive jazz CD section...

The Barbican library is on the 2nd floor of the Barbican Centre (I think).

Go today! Now!
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Nov 26, 2009, 11:56
Stevo wrote:
We'll have you on Sun Ra in no time.

Actually, quite a bit of his stuff isn't that much further out than what you've got.
would reccommend
Lanquidity
Strange Celestial road
Space Is The Place (both, though I think people prefer the soundtrack. It's a bit more 'out' though)

Yep. The might Sun Ra and his Arkestra. Space is indeed the place.
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Nov 26, 2009, 12:02
The Sea Cat wrote:
I loved Huntington Ashram Monastery/World Galaxy. What's your take on the McLaughlin Shakti stuff.

dunno, not really had the chance to listen to any of 'em more than once ... kinda twiddly, but not unappealing in that (despite all this jazz-love, i;ve usually gravitated towards the moronically simple in music) ... not really heard much like it before - i mean, it's v indebted to indian music, texturally speaking, but seems more like fusion playing-wise ... i REALLY enjoyed some of the violin playing throughout + look forward to having the time to dig in deeper

thanks for the tip on this - it's always good to hear something new that makes me sit up + LISTEN

meanwhile, i'm making mental note to send you "infinity"
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

spotify / last.fm / etc
Nov 26, 2009, 12:05
Lonesome Cowboy Bill wrote:

As for Spotify. I've never jumped on board the downloading wagon as I've always preferred a hard copy....but it would be ideal for checking sounds out before buying, and possibly regretting.

last.fm can be good too, i think (not used it THAT much, mind)

i use myspace to check out more modern bands too (might not be so great for jazz, but you never know - there are plenty of fan sites out there)

some mail orders have good audio samples too (aquarius in san franciso has been useful from time to time ... good shop/mail order)
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Nov 26, 2009, 12:11
Squid Tempest wrote:
If you work near enough to the Barbican, take proof of your work address to them and they'll let you join. They have a really good music section there because of their association with the Giuldhall School Of Music. Specifically they have a comprehensive jazz CD section...

The Barbican library is on the 2nd floor of the Barbican Centre (I think).

Go today! Now!

I've already got my HR Dept printing me off a copy of a letter which I can then brandish at the Barbican as proof of my London ID. I'm there man! I'm so there! I'll be in a jazz trance from now til pancake day!
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Nov 26, 2009, 12:32
Nov 26, 2009, 12:18
Cheers Tree. Can't wait!
( Shakti's a grower and may be worth sticking with if like me you dig Ravi Shankar and Indian Classical music ) :-)
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Nov 26, 2009, 15:18
I'm now a fully fledged member of Barbican Library. Very nice establishment. My pockets have been lined with Ornette Coleman 'The Shape Of Jazz To Come', Mingus 'Black Saint', Coltranes 'Blue Train' & 'Giant Steps'. 40p each for a week. Not bad at all. Got my eye on The Complete In A Silent Way box set for next week.

I can see where I'll be spending my winter lunchtimes the next few months.

Cheers for the tip off Mr Squid.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index