Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Dec 03, 2009, 22:35
Re: Nice Jazz Recommendations.....you know, a bit like Kind Of Blue
Dec 03, 2009, 22:29
'the rest need a proper listen to, especially those Art Blakey drums'

I'd recommend you try repeated listens of 'Free for All' - it's one of the great hard bop albums - as a studio album it makes 'ESP' sound weak in comparison.

On the subject of Miles bop stuff - try the live albums - 'Live at Plugged Nickel' or the double set 'Four and More' - the carter/ williams/ hancock rhythm section always sounded better on the live recordings than the studio ones methinks.

8)
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Dec 03, 2009, 22:45
Dec 03, 2009, 22:42
"This whole thread has gone a bit jazz itself. Started off on a nice safe vibe, after relaxing sounds, then has veered off into wilder territory."

..unfortunately so, maybe jizz more than jazz....it's seemed to have turned into the same old checking of miles, impulse, ornette, sun ra and avant garde from 40 years ago. Shame.

8)
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Dec 03, 2009, 22:55
dave clarkson wrote:

..unfortunately so, maybe jizz more than jazz....it's seemed to have turned into the same old checking of miles, impulse, ornette, sun ra and avant garde from 40 years ago. Shame.

8)

ah, we knew that's what he wanted REALLY! nice to have helped turn someone else onto all this stuff tho, eh?

but if yr a fan of weird rock music, yr not gonna get into "normal" jazz 1st, are you? it's gotta be the weird shit, then work backwards ... same went for classical music for me ... start w/ stockhausen + eventually yr back listening to mozart + tallis + it all makes some sort of sense

dave, i'm taking yr miles live 60s tips above on board too - cheers!
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Dec 03, 2009, 23:11
singingringingtree wrote:
dave clarkson wrote:

8)

ah, we knew that's what he wanted REALLY! nice to have helped turn someone else onto all this stuff tho, eh?

Shhhh, whisper it, he could be right......(tho it's the turn of Ah Um now and that's sounding mighty fine).
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Dec 03, 2009, 23:32
OK chaps forget the trad dad stuff ;-)

Good crossover of easy listening and avant garde - try MJQ's 'Space' (apple recs)...
http://www.amazon.com/Space-Modern-Jazz-Quartet/dp/B00000728X

Failing that - Ornette and Pat Metheny - 'Song X'.

8)
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

charlie parker?
Dec 03, 2009, 23:38
ok daVe - reaching back from stockhausen to mozart, i have no charlie parker in the house, know next to nothing about his music ... shameful ... reckon i'd enjoy too ... do you know that if i was to pick up one CP rec, what wd be the best bet? or best band or era or something? before earlier Miles, jazz is complete mystery to me ...
(ditto dizzy g + all of that stuff)
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: charlie parker?
Dec 04, 2009, 00:24
Think I said earlier in the thread that Proper boxes can be very good.
Might depend on whjether or not you have the time to assimilate 4cds of material but those I've bought have been rewarding.
the Bebop Spoken Here set is very tasty & there's one each dedicated to Charlie Parker and dizzy Gillespie.
The Duke Ellington set's very nice too. covers about 30years of his career in some depth. Nice mastering too.
haven't heard the Charlie Parker set myself but judging by the quality of those i do own, should be good.
tend to go for between 9 and 15 sterling online too. pretty good for 4 cds almost full to maximum in most cases.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Dec 04, 2009, 00:40
Dec 04, 2009, 00:29
A lot of the bebop stuff and Parker's studio music exists on compilations and box sets rather than reissues of original albums which were released originally as sessions on 78's. Any comps and you'll probably recognise most the tunes on them as they were redone, rearranged by loads of bands since and also played at twice the speed when the hard bop 60s bands like Miles's quintet and Art Blakey's messengers reinterpreted them. Any Parker discs featuring versions of Au Privave, Scrapple from the Apple, Stella by Starlight, Now's the time, C Jam Blues are great. 'A Night In Tunisia' is a good CD comp. Also good is some of the many live albums which sound rough as a bear's arse but full of energy. 'Live at Minton's'. As a different perspective on CP, try 'Bird With Strings'.
As for good line ups for recordings - they're nearly always made up of the other bandleaders - Miles, Dizzy, Earl Hines...

Dizzy's early stuff is great - his best line up IMO was with Ray Brown, Milt Jackson, Kenny Clarke.... Some of Dizzy's 70's afro cuban music is good too. For guitar stuff, Charlie Christian recordings.

Also recommend Stan Getz/ Lionel Hampton's 'Hamp and Getz' if you like the sound of vibraphone(though early 50s still in the bebop genre with an great version of 'Cherokee' as an opening track and 'jumping at the woodside')....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hamp-Getz-Lionel-Hampton/dp/B00000473O

8)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Dec 04, 2009, 03:44
The thing with Parker is he was SO influential, it's hard to hear his genius because everyone who comes after took some of his ideas. He was a revolutionary who changed jazz.

Start with the Dial sides from the late 1940's (Miles & Max Roach era stuff.) His 1950's recordings on Verve are spottier.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Dec 04, 2009, 11:53
Dog 3000 wrote:
The thing with Parker is he was SO influential, it's hard to hear his genius because everyone who comes after took some of his ideas. He was a revolutionary who changed jazz.

Start with the Dial sides from the late 1940's (Miles & Max Roach era stuff.) His 1950's recordings on Verve are spottier.

Absolutely spot on. I've only just noticed that Charlie Parker was overlooked, myself included. I've given myself a good talking to.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index