Re: Nice Jazz Recommendations.....you know, a bit like Kind Of Blue
Nov 26, 2009, 17:25
which ones? you cd easily be put off by picking up the "wrong" one 1st i reckon
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Nov 26, 2009, 17:30
I'll be back there once I've got these first 4 digested. It's only the beginning.....I fear the infamous jazz fatigue, jazz burn out, jazz madness.....must take it easy. But I'm an addicted sort so will no doubt plunge in, go bonkers on it all, feel sick and then be crying and soothing my brow with some country sounds by this time next week.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Nov 26, 2009, 17:31
hah! yes, very true! Friendly Galaxy was one and I think Jazz in Silhouette was the other - I suspect neither is the ideal jumping-on spot!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Nov 26, 2009, 17:32
Lonesome Cowboy Bill wrote:
I'll be back there once I've got these first 4 digested. It's only the beginning.....I fear the infamous jazz fatigue, jazz burn out, jazz madness.....must take it easy. But I'm an addicted sort so will no doubt plunge in, go bonkers on it all, feel sick and then be crying and soothing my brow with some country sounds by this time next week.

There is always the classical section!
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Nov 26, 2009, 17:32
singingringingtree wrote:
which ones? you cd easily be put off by picking up the "wrong" one 1st i reckon

According to the website they've got The Year 2000 Myth Science, Secrets Of The Sun, Jazz In Silhouette, Friendly Galaxy, Magic City.
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

sun ra (again!)
Nov 26, 2009, 17:46
i have maybe 30+ sun ra on vinyl/CD/the odd CDR burn in my house, but had to hit http://www.the-temple.net/sunradisco/disco.html for most of the ones you mention:

The Year 2000 Myth Science

not heard it!

Secrets Of The Sun

not heard it! but "sunrise in outer space" is a LOVELY tune (cd be massively different version on here than the 2 i have) ... the vintage of this one looks like it's the best of this bunch as starting point ...bet this is good

Jazz In Silhouette

not heard, but v early so prob pretty "friendly" big band stuff ... "saturn" is great sun ra staple tune ... you may wonder what all the fuss is about if you started w/ this one (prob good, mind)

Friendly Galaxy

not heard! early 90s ..hmmmmm, not ideal starting point IMHO ... bet there are some good tunes on here - looks a little "greatest hits" (if ever such a thing cd exist)

Magic City.

i have this one - it's great, classic even, but wdn't really recommend it as a starting point, esp the abstruse sidelong title track ... if you get a taste for the world of sun ra, this is indispensible ... but i don't actually dig this one out that much TBH

Not much help, i know, but you have more than enough to keep you going w/ mingus, ornette + trane ... have fun + go easy!
MC
638 posts

Nov 26, 2009, 23:14
I wonder if you might like Glass Flowers by the Elysian Spring from '69. It's just been released for the first time on CD in Japan only - edition of 300 and sold out pretty much instantly. Original LPs go for between $500 and $1000.

http://www.rerelease.net/catalog.php?RID=2&SID=7

My copy is on it's way over courtesy of HMV Japan right now. There's one on Ebay right now.

If anyone has any info on this I'd love to hear it.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: sun ra (again!)
Nov 27, 2009, 10:20
singingringingtree wrote:

Friendly Galaxy

not heard! early 90s ..hmmmmm, not ideal starting point IMHO ... bet there are some good tunes on here - looks a little "greatest hits" (if ever such a thing cd exist)

there was a mid price Greatest Hits of him though. can't remember who did it. just remember seeing it for sale on a website.

Shame there isn't anything electric about 78-81 there, great period.
Stevo
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Edited Nov 27, 2009, 10:51
Nov 27, 2009, 10:44
Jazz update:

After borrowing Giant Steps, Blue Train, Shape Of Jazz To Come and Black Saint from the library I may have changed my thinking about what I like jazz-wise. I think I'm more at home with the weirder end of the spectrum. Kind Of Blue is excellent, that's a given, but I'm kinda drawn more towards A Love Supreme rather than Giant Steps and Blue Train. Hard to put my finger on it, or describe why, but some jazz I just find a bit too, well, 'jazz'. Hahaha, pathetic isn't it. I'll give them a proper listen though as I know Coltrane is way up there and everything deserves more than one listen. Crescent shall stay rooted on my Xmas list.

Hunting for a sound-a-like for Kind Of Blue may be futile. I could just stick to having that from that jazz-spectrum.

Black Saint sounded good, some wonderful sounds going on there, almost orchestral in it's scope and depth. One to delve deeper into. Is Ah Um similar? Though I must say it started to get a bit samey on the headphones this morning.

Shape Of Jazz To Come I didn't really like, apart from the first track.

Maybe Miles is my man when it comes to jazz. I love In A Silent Way, On The Corner, Bitches Brew for their strange sounds, the vibe, funkiness, amplified warmth. Could be the path to continue down.

Looking forward to receiving Pharoah Sanders Tauhid thru the post.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Nov 27, 2009, 10:50
Stick with it, Lonesome. Some of these things take a long while to get into I find. Shape of Jazz to Come is for me a good example of that, well worth persevering with, and not an instant hit for me at least. Probably better not to overdose on it all either, take it an album or two at a time.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index