Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Re: Nice Jazz Recommendations.....you know, a bit like Kind Of Blue
Nov 25, 2009, 12:50
Now on my Xmas list:

John Coltrane - Crescent & Giant Steps
Pharoah Sanders - Karma (I think this is the one that may freak me out but I need to be tested)
Charles Mingus - Ah Um
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
Ornette Colman - Change Of The Century

I seem to have gone from relaxed jazz to a bit free-form in the blink of a minds eye. Good start?
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Nov 25, 2009, 13:00
Lonesome Cowboy Bill wrote:
Good start?

not 'arf bad!

you'll groove to "karma" for a good long while, it's so LUSH + mellow, then just go w/ the white knuckle stuff when it happens ... let us know what you make if it all!
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1701 posts

Nov 25, 2009, 13:27
Lonesome Cowboy Bill wrote:
Now on my Xmas list:

John Coltrane - Crescent & Giant Steps

I have a very modest and quite random jazz collection, maybe a dozen or so records, but the best thing I have by far is a John Coltrane tape with 'Giant Steps' on one side and 'Live at the Village Vanguard Again' on the other. I may even prefer Village Vanguard to Giant Steps actually. Both on that cool cusp of pared-down melodic smoothness with an experimental modal edge- the jazz elements on Pentangle's albums seem to draw from this well, too.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 26, 2009, 09:43
Nov 26, 2009, 09:40
I think a good way into the Ornette aesthetic is to get "Old and New Dreams" on ECM as it features Ornette stalwarts Don Cherry (t); Dewey Redman (ts, musette); Charlie Haden (b); Ed Blackwell (d) dedicated to playing Ornette tunes. Includes a killer version of Lonely Woman.

Beyind that "Science Fiction" is a really interesting record, especially as it features an Indian Playback Singer on two tracks. "Crisis" is the other Ornette I would think you might like looking at yout other interests. Features a great version of Song For Che and a deeply moving Broken Shadows. Puts the revolution into 33 RPM.

If you get those two plus Don Cherry's "Where is Brooklyn?" then you have a pretty good grasp of the Ornette approach to harmony.

There are three must-have Saunders albums - "Jewels of Thought", "Karma" and "Tauhid". Frankly I think he is a compostional lightweight but he has a killer tone and attack.

If you are interested in the Free / New Thing thing then I suggest you read Val Wilmer's "As Serious As Your Life" and get your hands on the following ....

Albert Ayler - Spiritual Unity
Ceclil Taylor - Silent Tongues
Art Ensemble of Chicago - Urban Bushmen (essential record this one)
Coltrane - Ascension
Ornette - Crisis
Roscoe Mitchell - Sound
Sun Ra - Nubians of Plutonia

and as much Alice Coltrane as you can find.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Nov 26, 2009, 09:52
Nov 26, 2009, 09:50
IanB wrote:

This is an absolute necessity of the most vital importance.
Journey In Satchidananda, Universal Consciousness, Ptah The El Daoud,
Transcendence, World Galaxy, Huntingdon Ashram Monastery etc

Get Alice in your life. I beseech you, nay implore you. You will be irrevocably altered for the better.
( I am in no way casting apsersions upon you current state of obvious grooviness) ;-)
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Edited Nov 26, 2009, 10:31
Nov 26, 2009, 10:30
I did buy an Alice Coltrane comp years back when I was a late teens / early 20's indie type head. I couldn't get into at all at the time, same with A Love Supreme, so both went onto the 'to sell' pile. Needless to say my aural palette has matured over the years and I can now appreciate and DIG the sounds of A Love Supreme and some far out Miles. Maybe it's time to buy some Alice again. The 'Journey....' album seems to be top of the list when she's spoken about.

At the start of this thread I was going on about being skint and awaiting Xmas for some more jazz cd's but whilst Spooks was on the telly box last night I browsed Amazon and ended up adding Miles Smiles, ESP, Filles De Killamanjaro (3 for £14.98, not bad), and Pharoah Sanders Tauhid to my basket. Mrs Cowboy Bill will not be best pleased.

Todays journey in was soundtracked by In A Silent way. Beautiful.

I've got In The Corner on a cd released in the 90's. Is the 2000's remastered version that much better? Prob worth it for the sleevenotes and pics and what not. Love that cartoon cover.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 26, 2009, 10:41
Nov 26, 2009, 10:40
Have you checked Spotify for these records (and others)? Free and 100% legal way of tasting some new music and hearing them in their entirity. Has saved me a fortune in ill-advised purchases.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Have you tried your library?
Nov 26, 2009, 11:00
I don't know where you live, but a great way (for me at least) to hear and play-test jazz is the library. I'm lucky enough to work near the Barbican library in London, and they have a really pretty good selection to choose from. 30p per week for a CD? Yes please!

Even if your local library isn't quite so well stocked, it may well be worth checking out. They may even be able to order stuff for you.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Nov 26, 2009, 11:07
We'll have you on Sun Ra in no time.

Actually, quite a bit of his stuff isn't that much further out than what you've got.
would reccommend
Lanquidity
Strange Celestial road
Space Is The Place (both, though I think people prefer the soundtrack. It's a bit more 'out' though)
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Nov 26, 2009, 11:11
The Sea Cat wrote:

hey sea cat - i realised i shd've dubbed you the john coltrane "infinity" disk alice cosmicked up posthumously, when i sent you the other OOP alices ... it's INCREDIBLE - have you heard it? if not, gimme a nudge + i'll do it for you (i don't even know if it's still in print in v costly jap import ... CRIMINAL for that to go OOP)
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index