Nice Jazz Recommendations.....you know, a bit like Kind Of Blue

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
aether
149 posts

Edited Dec 01, 2009, 22:53
Re: Nice Jazz Recommendations.....you know, a bit like Kind Of Blue
Dec 01, 2009, 22:46
i always liked the slightly later Sanders stuff - less free, with more groove(relatively seaking, of ciurse, this is Sanders after all) of

BLACK UNITY
WISDOM THROUGH MUSIC
and most of all
VILLAGE OF THE PHAROES

the grooves(especially on WISDOM) have a lovely ramshackle quality to them as if they could be blown away at any minute by a slight breeze (similar to early 70s DON CHERRY)

also mixes eastern/african instrumental timbres with an early 70s sterner groove of the new york 'loft set', such as the musicians who recorded for Strata East for example (as indeed did Sanders as well: Izipho Sam - which I don't have).

AETHER (ex-GOGMAGOG)
eyeshakingking
eyeshakingking
379 posts

Dec 01, 2009, 23:45
When I saw this thread had been bumped by 'aether' I thought someone had posted a recommendation for 'The Necks' - an australian piano/bass/drums trio operating 'on the fringes of jazz' who have used that username as an album title. Absolutely amazing band, maybe not what the OP is looking for, but recommended to all nonetheless. They generally release one-song hour-long albums; improvisations that are both hypnotically repetitive and constantly shifting.

Their 'Aether' & 'Drive By' discs in particular are both superb and indispensible; the latter being the finest intersection of Krautrock & Jazz I've ever heard.
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Dec 01, 2009, 23:51
aether wrote:
Izipho Sam - which I don't have).

GOG, that is one of my favorite pharoahs ... a real motherfucker ,,, dunno why it never came out on impulse ... maybe the recording;'s SLIGHTLY less hi-fi (but maybe not), but it'll def float yr boat

i know i still haven't sent sea cat the JC "infinity" dub, but if you need a dub of "izipho zam", i'm yr man (you can email me from here)
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Dec 02, 2009, 09:48
Well, I'm slowly working my way through a spectrum of sounds courtesy of the City libraries. Borrowed so far:

John Coltrane - Blue Train, Giant Steps, Ascension
Pharaoh Sanders - Black Unity, Tauhid
Miles Davis - ESP
Ornette Coleman - Shape Of Jazz To Come
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Free For All
Charles Mingus - Ah Um, Black Saint

Not a bad selection so far. Coming up trumps so far are ESP, Tauhid and some of Black Saint. The rest need a proper listen to, especially those Art Blakey drums. Roll on the next batch.......hoping to find Somethin' Else amongst the racks at some point.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1706 posts

Dec 02, 2009, 19:08
We've gone from the wild and free to the cool and relaxed and all over the place on this thread, but has anybody mentioned the great Charlie Parker? He may be considered a bit obvious, but I've just been listening again this afternoon to a couple of favoured compilations of his mid-40s stuff... early bebop... and he's still the man.
aether
149 posts

Edited Dec 02, 2009, 20:28
Dec 02, 2009, 19:29
Kind of you singing,ringing - I didn't get the link for your email tho;

been away from my computer for a good while - and when I can back - my password/account seemed messed up, so I'm on this new account now.

Singing - i got two outright classics to lay on you (you might have heard of them already as they've also been doing the rounds on the blogs aswell)

both are from the whatmusic.com label and both are post-Electric-Miles blow-outs of the first order:

JAZZ BAND DE FREE "EGO"
and
JORGE LOPEZ RUIZ 5 "EL PREPO"
latin early 70s jazz- both blend the elctric voodoo miles with a latin sense of swing and sound like Gato B guesting on Don Cherry's early seventies ur-works (instead of the free mid-60s stuff - indeed Ruiz - a bassist, played with Barbieri in Lalo Schifrin's band)

IanB (indeed, most people on this site), i think would enjoy these things.

Im just getting me head around vinyl to mp3 singing,ringin/IanB, so if you struggle for downloads let me know. Sriously, though, they are worth picking up on vinyl - Leeds Relic Records still has some i think

nice to hear fron you again, singing,

(a)Gog in the Aether (as the ozrics would say)

PS: Not read all the entries in this thread, so apologies if they've been mentioned previously.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Dec 02, 2009, 23:04
Er no, more like A LOVE SUPREME
Dec 02, 2009, 23:01
If "Love Supreme" is really more you're style, I bet you'll like that Pharoah TAUHID CD! Try KARMA and THEMBI next from that dude. He is perhaps the most Trane-like of the post-Trane guys (played in Trane's band in the later days.)

For more juicy Coltrane -- well, really his "classic quartet" records from 1960-64 or so (including LOVE SUPREME) are about as Kindofblue-esque as anything you'll find (modal jazz featuring Coltrane on sax, that's pretty much what yer talkin about.) I am quite fond of COLTRANE PLAYS THE BLUES (don't worry, it's some kinda weird "eastern blues" not boring downhome honkytonk!) and IMPRESSIONS (also has Eric Dolphy). If you want to get into the ultimate of Trane's free jazz records, I love MEDITATIONS (which also has Pharoah Sanders) -- though that one's very "noisy and intense. (ASCENSION is another famous free jazz piece from that era, but I think it's more like a knockoff of Ornette's FREE JAZZ album, which is the place to start if you want to get into the REALLY "free" stuff.)

And you might dig Alice Coltrane too (had her own thread here recently; I like GALAXY WORLD, but need to study more.)

Ornette -- I still say CHANGE OF THE CENTURY is a better starter than SHAPE OF JAZZ TO COME, but if you really didn't get anything from the latter it might not matter. (Yeah, he's probably never written anything as catchy as "Lonely Woman".)

Mingus -- AH UM is not much like BLACK SAINT at all. The former is classic jazz, the latter is partly some weird ethno-ballet experiment. AH UM has some great TUNES as opposed to just being exotic jamming. Might be best to aim for a sampler of his career (or even just the 1950's), there are some good ones out there. This dude is MAJOR, if you like jazz at all I don't see how you can't help but love 'im! Great playing, but it starts with great writing. G-e-n-i-u-s alert!

Eric Dolphy -- you might like OUT TO LUNCH, it's very weird, but also sorta catchy and unique.

Sun Ra -- there was a great comp from about 1990 called OUT THERE A MINUTE, which was the first time I heard him & immediately impressed me. Probably out of print, but a great sampler if you can find it (and I think these are mostly alternate mixes and outtakes, so doesn't really duplicate his other albums much.)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

That's not cool, it's modal!
Dec 02, 2009, 23:18
Sorry to get pedantic, but what yer talking about is properly called MODAL jazz.

"Cool" jazz was a movement from the end of the 1940's that peaked in the early 1950's. Miles and Gil Evans were the primary innovators ("Birth Of The Cool"), but Chet Baker was probably the most popular musician associated with the movement. Frankly I find this era to be dull -- mainly detective movie soundtrack music and melancholy love ballads.

MODAL jazz was an innovation from the mid-50's (they say Mingus' 1955 LP "Pithecanthropus Erectus" was the start) -- Miles got heavily into modal playing later in the 50's, peaking with . . . KIND OF BLUE, which is the ultimate modal jazz album.

Coltrane took the modal thing and ran with it in the first half of the 1960's (until he went "free jazz"), while Miles went in an entirely different direction for awhile (I'm not even sure how to describe his mid-60's quintet -- they were like a group with a style all their own.)

This isn't a "genre" thing so much as it is based on the actual way they play the instruments and organize the notes -- as Wikipedia puts it, "Modal jazz is jazz that uses musical modes rather than chord progressions as a harmonic framework."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modal_jazz

The electric "fusion" jazz of the late 1960's is rooted in the modal style (particularly Miles' loose-funky version), as is the faux-raga style of ACID ROCK that you hear in songs such as "Light My Fire", "Eight Miles High" and "Dark Star".

MODAL JAZZ IS SUPER IMPORTANT IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF HEAD MUSIC!
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Dec 03, 2009, 05:48
Re: That's not cool, it's modal!
Dec 03, 2009, 03:34
Modal jazz was picked up pretty early on by youthful British Jazzers. A lot of people in the free/and other scene's got a lot from it before they got other idea's in their heads. The late Ian Carr's book long unavailable, but out again on Northway Publ 'Music Outside' had a lot of interviews with Harold Riley, Evan Parker, Mike Garrick - all those cats give a real insight how this stuff was important to the development of jazz. Anything I hear on 'Jez Nelsons' Jazz on Three has got into a bit of a tedious rut for years now. It has been years since I saw a hot band like Back Door playing in a room at a pub. I say this as I found an original copy of Back Door on Blakey yesterday, watched On the Buses and saw that the writing on the label has been ripped off the TV credits. In all a very satisfying day.
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Re: Er no, more like A LOVE SUPREME
Dec 03, 2009, 10:05
Dog 3000 wrote:
If "Love Supreme" is really more you're style, I bet you'll like that Pharoah TAUHID CD! Try KARMA and THEMBI next from that dude. He is perhaps the most Trane-like of the post-Trane guys (played in Trane's band in the later days.)

I love TAUHID!! Purchased it on ebay, arrived yesterday, on the ipod for this morning. Wow! It's a thing of real beauty, harsh at times but those gorgeous parts afterwards are soul strokingly good. The guitar tone reminds me of Lou Reed and the VU. Second track Japan made me have Street Hassle pop into my head because of the guitar sound. It's the shortest track and the reviews I've read kind of dismiss it after the full on first track but I love it. I'll try KARMA next. I borrowed BLACK UNITY from the library but that seems a harder piece of work to like.

I've skipped thru ASCENSION but that seems like a struggle to listen to. One to be appreciated rather than liked when played. But I need to give them all time....

Re: your helpful post about MODAL JAZZ. I think that's the sound I'm into and liking the most, plus the electric Miles era which is the standout for me. Earlier jazz just seems too dull for my liking, pleasant but just a bit 'meh'. Cheers for the info!
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index