Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Re: Er no, more like A LOVE SUPREME
Dec 03, 2009, 11:03
Lonesome Cowboy Bill wrote:
The guitar tone reminds me of Lou Reed and the VU.

that hit me too, the very 1st time i heard it ... you hiot the nail on the head ... if yr enjoying the sharrock gtr there, + you get to love the skronk, you MUST try sharrock's "black woman" LP ... it's absolutely mindmeltingly wonderful ... really beautiful tunes (sunny + his wife linda singing) that often (but not always) ascend into high-power freakouts of the 1st order ... it's no longer in the jazz realm here either ... sunny throws in rock moves (like on "tauhuid"), linda out-yokos yoko at times too ... it's delirious stuff ... heady + totlaly out there on its own, but not impenetrable by any means

stick w./ "black unity" - it was one of the 1st of "those" recs i really got to love ... it's such a non-stop groover ... it'll sound like krautrock after a while (maybe)
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Re: Nice Jazz Recommendations.....you know, a bit like Kind Of Blue
Dec 03, 2009, 11:06
hit the red text on my username - shd open yr email editor - let me know if you've still got difficulty ... izipho is here for ya!

are you in pr around leeds yrself? (mention or relics ... kinda crap shop, grumpy guys, but have found some good things in there over the yrs) i work in leeds, live out in wilds of kirklees

i've seen those recs you mention, but never heard .. maybe is shd give 'em a go - thanks for the tip
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Edited Dec 03, 2009, 17:04
Dec 03, 2009, 11:19
singingringingtree wrote:
Lonesome Cowboy Bill wrote:
The guitar tone reminds me of Lou Reed and the VU.

that hit me too, the very 1st time i heard it ... you hiot the nail on the head ... if yr enjoying the sharrock gtr there, + you get to love the skronk, you MUST try sharrock's "black woman" LP ... it's absolutely mindmeltingly wonderful ... really beautiful tunes (sunny + his wife linda singing) that often (but not always) ascend into high-power freakouts of the 1st order ... it's no longer in the jazz realm here either ... sunny throws in rock moves (like on "tauhuid"), linda out-yokos yoko at times too ... it's delirious stuff ... heady + totlaly out there on its own, but not impenetrable by any means

stick w./ "black unity" - it was one of the 1st of "those" recs i really got to love ... it's such a non-stop groover ... it'll sound like krautrock after a while (maybe)

Good to know you heard the VU in there as well. I've seen that BLACK WOMAN album appear in various lists on amazon when looking at other cd's. I like the look of it.....good review here http://www.dustedmagazine.com/reviews/2312 I'll see if I can pick it up for a 40p library listen. The Yoko-isms give me the fear ;-)

Skronk is good. Gotta have some madness along with the melody.
aether
149 posts

Edited Dec 03, 2009, 12:24
Dec 03, 2009, 12:21
I was up there, at the Uni, speaking at a conference on film music, so I had a quick dash round Leeds. I'm over by Liverpool myself.

I thought it was quite a good shop actually - given the dying nature of the industry and what not. But then shops that are new to you always seem good at first. But there does seem to be a general malaise in record shop employees doesn't there - I know I used to be one!!!

Deffo worth checking out though, don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Got loadsa jazz over the last few months -will have to get a list together.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Dec 03, 2009, 13:50
Not sure if i reccommended it or not , but Ask the Ages by Sonny Sharrock is well worth checking out. This reverses the role thing with SS as leader and Pharaoh as sideman and is a couple decades later.
Songs have a really old timey/gospel sound but do get pretty out there in places (I think Albert Ayler did the same but this isn't quite like him)

& thinking of VU comparisons, you might want to check out electric Mud, credited to Muddy waters but most notable for sidemen including Pete Cosey. Not sure how well it sits in Muddy's catalogue but if you see it more as a recording by that particular group of musicians fronted by the supposed session leader it gains appeal. I tend to group it sonically with White Light/White Heat. R'n'b grooves jammed to the limit.

Stevo
eyeshakingking
eyeshakingking
379 posts

Dec 03, 2009, 16:03
Ask the Ages has been high up on my wishlist for a long time, but has also been frustratingly out of print for a long time too. Great, great record.

Oh and speaking of Ayler, I picked up an Ayler CD for the first time yesterday - Music is the Healing Force of the Universe... I know enough about him to know it's far from an ideal place to start with him, and I know he's probably not what the OP is looking for either, but for €4, I had to take it away with me. Haven't played it yet mind.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Dec 03, 2009, 16:54
Marie Maria gets slagged probably as much for her vocals on her boyfriend's lps as Yoko Ono & I think with more validity. She mars those last few, electric lps by Albert.

i think the band Healing Force may be possibly more successful ininterpreting that era Ayler because their singer can. probably doesn't help much with the lyrics though.

Ayler's better early on, the ESP label material is great as is Love Cry which i always hear as almost his acid rock lp. live in Greenwich Village:The Complete Impulse recordings is prettty interesting. I think the subtitle is supposed to be a misnomer though.

You might enjoy that record though. i think you're into pretty weird black music aren't you? Though there I think they're taking leads from white rock.
stevo
Np Arthur Blythe Basel 82 (this too, you might want to check out.)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Sha-ROCK!
Dec 03, 2009, 19:42
Sonny Sharrock is a wonderful guitarist, and he is a big part of the appeal of pretty much any album he appears on as a side man (Pharoah TAUHID, side 2 of JACK JOHNSON, Wayne Shorter SUPER NOVA . . . )

My favorite of his is the 1975 PARADISE album, co-credited with ex-wife Linda Sharrock.

It's like fusion sorta, but unique (imagine Eno producing 70's pop R&B -- with Yoko Ono and Sonny Muthafuggin Sharrock!!) Critics hated it, didn't sell shit, supposedly Sonny himself said he "wished it had never seen the light of day!"

I LOVE IT!

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/7101-paradise/
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Dec 03, 2009, 19:55
I think Ascension is one of those albums you "admire for it's ambition" but don't listen to much. ;-)

Meditations is a different bucket of wild, suposedly Santana's favorite Trane album. It is very "out", but I think a good entry point for "energy music" or whatever you call that type of free jazz. Blew me away when I heard it the first time.

(Not "modal" though!)
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Dec 03, 2009, 21:39
Just downloaded the BLACK WOMAN album and am listening to the titletrack now = INCREDIBLE! So emotional. It reminds these ears of the Performance soundtrack in a way, the wailing of the Merry Clayton Singers on Turners Murder and what not.

This whole thread has gone a bit jazz itself. Started off on a nice safe vibe, after relaxing sounds, then has veered off into wilder territory.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index