IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 11, 2008, 13:13
Re: AC/DC latest available only through Wal Mart
Jun 11, 2008, 12:56
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:

Though I also like AC/DC because they are exactly the kind of band that really annoyed NME readers of a certain age. The sort of chaps who looked down their noses at Sounds and Kerrang readers for being thick but would wet their pants over a third rate hard rock guitar player like John Squire. Thick but not quite thick enough to buy "Second Coming"!

I don't think anyone found AC/DC annoying, did they? They might have operated outside me and my mates world (we were NME readers!), but they seemed like a bit of fun and altogether less ponderous than their peers. And while we looked down our noses at Kerrang readers (anyone who bought that was surely thick, there was no other explanation!), that wasn't true of Sounds as that included something for everyone - Dave McCullough in our cases.

Not sure why Squire is coming into the equation here as The Second Coming was about ten years later than the Kerrang time. Would AC/DC really have got up an early 90's Stone Roses fan nose? Doubt they'd have even given them a second thought tbh.

Not a Stone Roses fan myself, but gotta admit Fools Gold is a great 45.

I was an NME, MM, Kerrang and Echoes reader in the 80s having a foot (limb?) in all three camps. I lost my way with Sounds over their coverage of Oi and never read it much after 82. Record Mirror had its moments too when Tim Nicholson and Eleanor Levy and Andy Strickland wrote for it. I haven't bought music papers since 1990 when each week seemed to bring yet another "Best New Band In Britain" with one single and a manager sharing a flat with the journalist.

Anyway surely the hipster disparagement of metal has no time limits?
Though the absolute peak of metalphobia was the mid 80s when those pesky metal bands were having lots and lots of hits and the likes of Primal Scream, The Beloved and James were waiting for dance music to save their asses from a career drving vans and waiting tables.

It took the Beastie Boys, Run DMC and Tone Loc etc to reintroduce riff rock in a form acceptable to self-styled cool people and then Nirvana drove the nail home in 91.

Even LZ were ill thought of by the writers of the day. Their critics were more interested in some introverted wanker in a cheese cloth shirt singing about getting it together in the country with his lady (and a big bag of coke) or fake street punk music like Springsteen.

The Mick Farren, CSM hipster journo types used to write horrible reviews of mainstream rock bands. Usually from the bar.

Plus ca change.

As for John Squire I can remember his talents as a guitar player being readily compared to Jimmy Page by people who wouldn't know their Aria from their E-Bow. They are easy to spot because they start every conversation about something they've just discovered with the words "I've always liked ...."
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index