zphage
3378 posts

Edited Jun 09, 2008, 20:18
Re: AC/DC latest available only through Wal Mart
Jun 09, 2008, 20:17
IanB wrote:
zphage wrote:
Good points.

AC/Dc is probably out of touch, but the Eagles resounding success speaks volumes for going their own way.

Size of the US ( 4-7 time zones) doesn't really allow for even Prince doing a give away here. Newspapers are much more powerful in UK than here. They do offer an alternate distribution system.

Only NYtimes, Wall ST, and USA Today offer truly US national distribution. Even then a giveaway may be too costly, but worth investigating.

That's fair though and the scale of the US is a problem but didn't Prince give his record away at all the US shows as well?

The Eagles / Wal Mart thing was a $$$ success. They made money. Lots of money. But how many songs would the average music fan know if they don't own the record. Everyone I know had the Prince record. Even people who didn't like him much before or hadn't liked anything since Sign Of The Times. The buzz in London was like nothing since the Stones did their Earls Court run in 76. Everyone seemed to be going to a show or wanted to go. AC/DC could be established as the "people's band". A legacy you can't bank but one that guarantees you longevity.

Correct Prince included it in the ticket price, but that only means the converted got the CD, not like the UK scenario.

Ozzy did the reverse with his CD that included free tix to Ozzfest.

I am sure AC/Dc thinks they are being visionary with Walmart, let alone the big picture you are talking about. Somebody will get smart. I guess the closest has been Radiohead.
May be U2...
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index