Unsung Forum »
AC/DC latest available only through Wal Mart

61 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: AC/DC latest available only through Wal Mart
Jun 11, 2008, 11:47
I have no problem with backing tapes myself, in Sabbaths case the tracks are that layered that it is almost certainly an advantage, and the chances of a big time show deviating from the set list is pretty remote.The days of 4 hour Zeppelin shows ,surprise encores and 24 minute organ solos are long gone.No one plays the 120 showsa year required to get tothat level of understanding
As for Sabbath themselves they are one of the few ‘dinosaurs’ that appear to have listened to any new music since 1975 [maybe because a lot of it sounds like Sabbath] and Iommi sometimes makes the odd noise that doesn’t hark back to the glory days.
With the exception of Neil Young,Springsteen and Robert Plant everyone else has collapsed under the weight of their own past[at Stadium level anyway]
Radiohead are poised at the same crossroads now, I wonder if the greatest hits set is an admission that they have reached the oldies stage, or a line drawn between then and now.
Muse totally bypassed me until my kids starting playing them constantly so I am able to view the entire catalogue from start to finish , and again seem to have reached the point of a history that is impossible to escape unless they completely revamp their style or like DC[or Kiss, Stones,Aerosmith,U2,Simple Minds,Oasis,Quo, insert name here]keep on churning out the same songs with a few words changed and play the hits live.
I suspect that mostly they will carry on churning it out and filling the stadiums with lots of people who want an evenings family entertainment singing along with the hits.
Which is I suppose not a bad thing, one of my happiest memories is being in a big hall of people all singing along to Whitesnake, a big communal singsong can be very moving, as can be that big ballad moment when your sitting in a field in the dark watching a sea of lighters waving about, cheese maybe smelly but sometimes it tastes nice.
But the chances of going to see someone play an entire set of unreleased songs, or for that matter playing 5 nights at Wembley and not realising that by the 2nd night nothing is going to vary icluding the starting time of 8.04, 13.5 min break at 9.23 and the 1.2 min allowed for applause before the encore is not going to happen, backing tracks are the least of your problem when you have a computer controlled lighting system that means your ‘freeform’ solo has to finish at exactly the point when the big light comes on, and you have to be at the exact point on the stage for the light to catch the spanly bits on your stage suit that some dresser picked out for you that looks good on the 2 big TV screens on either side of the stage that mean the audience might as well have stayed in and watched the telly.
And whilst I’m on a cynical roll, I saw G’n’R on the Use Yr Illusion tour, very enjoyable in a big dumb rock way, Axel slipped a bit of Sabbath into an intro to a song, everyone threw entertaining RnR shapes, the sun shone, I was chilled out and enjoying it. Then in a fit of wild abandon I thought let’s go down the front and jump around. Up close all the shape throwing that looked good in row QQQ looked rather silly[and quite camp], Axl was reading the words off an autocue, the cigarette roady had a stash of cigs on ciggy holders that blew out lots of smoke but ensured that no onedevoloped a nasty cough and the stage was a carefully laid out plan of pathways, markers and arrows with I assume some sort of ground control having Backing singer A follow the red path 5 paces, pout and wiggle, return to point X3, Slash proceed along the blue route playing your solo, destination is posing point X in 7 bars, I bar to be plyed under purple light 73, now lets rock.I realised after a while I’d stopped listening to the music and was paying more attention to who belongedto which line and who could go where. I also noticed Axl could go anywhere and everyone moved out of his way very quickly even if he did smoke a cig like a girly.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index