IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 11, 2008, 12:32
Re: AC/DC latest available only through Wal Mart
Jun 11, 2008, 07:25
riotmaster wrote:

come now Ian!
even as a diehard AC/DC album i can't see any chance of anything above a very good / solid album. nothing since Flick has had anything remotely classic about it (well to me anyway). i quite enjoyed Stiff Upper Lip but it wasn't anywhere near classic was it ?
i like your optimism but sadly i'm expecting a solid rather than spectacular return
but the tour is all that matters to be honest. i need my live fix of DC soon
ps:
with regards the Stones, the first time i saw em was on that 89/90 Urban Jungle jaunt. i thought they were ten times better in 2003 to be honest
far more rocking, and Jagger had stopped doing his fucking ridiculous hand movemnets. on that Urban Jungle tour it looked like some form of senile tai chi he was doing

I didn't see them in 03. For me the Stones are intolerable without Bill Wyman. I thought they were brilliant in 1990 though I had not seen them since 76 when Keef was in "a bit of a state" and they had Billy Preston showboating his way through the set like a good 'un. Were it not for Charlie, Bill and Ron Wood it would have been an utter fiasco.

As for AC/DC I don't really think the chances are that high that they will turn in a masterpiece but I think they are "real" enough to do so if they put their minds to it. The Stones and Aerosmith have been counterfeiting themselves for years. The Black Crowes are much much better at being the Stones, Rod and 'Smith these days than any of the originals.

This is a gross generalisation but what really f*cks me off about some folks of the indie / post-punk fan mentality is that it seems that they have to be told when riff rock is acceptable before they can respond to it. It's like they consider it to be a lesser form of music or something (like their attitude to Soul and Reggae) because it is too direct and they simply can't go on gut alone because they are not sure enough of their own taste. Especially as it is music that almost defies critical analysis.

Me, I'd take almost any AC/DC record over a dozen Nirvanas or "Bollocks". It's Only Rock and Roll, right?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index