Ian Tomlinson unlawfully killed

86 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9572 posts

Re: Ian Tomlinson unlawfully killed
May 16, 2011, 09:47
Rhiannon wrote:
What is all this 'standing up to other people' thing, it sounds so aggressive? I really don't understand why any of this discussion has to be seen as personal attack - surely you have an opinion and other people have a different opinion. That's the basis of a discussion. It's not bullying to ask someone who disagrees with you to explain where they're coming from, it's just part of debating a subject surely. If you didn't want to discuss your opinion why make it on a "discussion board"?

Also I'm bemused by your statement that "If I tell someone their post is crass I'm gonna expect a certain amount of flack back." It's not flak though is it, it's just refutations and requests that you justify your opinion, like what happens in a discussion, like you demand from the person whose post you called crass. Flak implies headless-chickeny violent retaliation, aggression again. It's just a bleeding discussion between people with different opinions. That's supposed to be the fun bit, the disagreement. It's not supposed to be personal to the point where you start thinking you're being bullied. That's just a bit weird.

Like your 'Godwin's Law' by the way PMM.

I think you're wrong, Rhiannon. It is flak. Flak has a far wider meaning that 'headless-chickeny violent retaliation, aggression' in my eyes. So be it.

And if you don't think there's a subtle form of bullying on these pages then we'll have to disagree. We're going round in circles here.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index