Ian Tomlinson unlawfully killed

86 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Re: Ian Tomlinson unlawfully killed
May 10, 2011, 00:34
We wear different masks, Keith. I don't know what you do for a living, but I'd imagine that the way you treat those you interact with professionally differently than you do in a different context.

For example, if you work in a call centre, and some irate person tells you to fuck off, you'd be diplomatic. You'd try to pour oil on troubled waters and would do your best to sort out whatever issue was causing them to be so angry. If the same person was to do the same thing when you were trying to have a quiet dinner out with your wife and family, you might perhaps ask the landlord to ask the person hassling you to leave.

So it is with the police. On the one hand they protect us and keep the peace. In this role they put themselves between glass weilding drunks, and pick up the pieces when some young prick has wrapped his astra around a tree. It's not a role I'd be prepared to do myself, and I accept it's necessary. But they also have a political role.

If we live in an unjust society (please feel free tp explain if you feel that we live in a just society) and the police enforce the status quo, then the role itself is corrupt.

At the moment, I'm getting phone calls, sometimes several times a day, from people claiming to be from Microsoft, urging me to switch on my computer and visit a particular website, which will remove the horrible viruses the caller reckons my computer has been infected with.

The poor guy making the call isn't necessarily a twat. He's just doing what he's told. In exchange for money. But he's still trying to fuck me over, and I doubt it you'd have any qualms about stopping not just him, but his entire way of making a living from disappearing.

Would it make any difference if for 7 hours of his 8 hour day, he was working for an ordinary helpline?
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index