86 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Re: Ian Tomlinson unlawfully killed
May 15, 2011, 20:32
keith a wrote:
Of course I understood what you meant. Why do people on this thread need everything breaking down into tiny pieces?

I can't speak for "People on this thread", but I do it because I want to get my own understanding across. So when people make no attempt to engage with what I've said, I try to break down my thoughts into simple logical units.

keith a wrote:
I didn't ask you to write that analogy so why should I have to waste my time writing a detailed response to something I considered nonsense?

My attempts to debate the points are met with either hostility or at best no attempt to challenge your own ideas, I wonder myself why I do it. So for example, you restate once again that you don't agree. Once again, you do so derisively (you consider it nonsense) but you will not actually attempt to qualify why you think it's nonsense.

keith a wrote:
As for the greater good - that's a delicate one. What the greater good is, depends on who you ask. I take it you're automatically assuming that what you believe is for the greater good? On the other hand, Hitler probably thought what he did was the greater good, too! ; )

Huzzah! You just proved Godwin's law! :)

Seriously though, if I didn't think my beliefs were right I wouldn't hold them. It's right that they should be challenged though, although it can sometimes be bloody uncomfortable, fielding leading quesions from well informed questioners. As far as Hitler goes, I suppose in a sense, yes he did, as long as you confine what you think of as worthy of inclusion to a tiny proportion of the world's population. I'm sure according to his own lights, he was on the side of the angels or he wouldn't have done what he did.

Please don't misunderstand me, Keith. It's not easy to have your ideas challenged. What I do see time after time (far more so on other discussion boards but sometimes here too) is people misinterpreting questions as aggression. If they can't justify their opinions, they tend to go on the defensive, by whatever means. If you don't like the message, shoot the messenger.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index