Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: Ian Tomlinson unlawfully killed
May 05, 2011, 13:18
Locodogz wrote:
Somewhat tenuous logic it seems IMHO

Yes, you're right. I was tired and didn't express myself well, and the logic as stated is indeed very shonky.

What I was trying to say was that attacking someone from behind who posed no threat to anyone is clearly excessive force. It is not only unlawful and a breach of duty to do it, it is a breach of duty not to report an officer for doing it. Yet instead of pulling him back or taking him aside, the colleagues carry on. This strongly implies they are familiarised with it.

He was not reported by fellow officers later on. This implies that either they were covering up, or that the event was so unremarkable that they didn't think it worthy of reporting.

Yet this is not a heated moment under a hail of bricks. This is a group of armoured officers faced with a man standing around with his hands in his pockets.

Do you think this is the only time that Harwood behaved like that? Do you think the colleagues didn't do the same thing elsewhere? When these officers reached the crowd, what do you think they did?

My leap was made in part because I was there on the day and saw hundreds and hundreds of attacks like Harwood's. It came not just from individual ones like that, but repeatedly en masse as a clear order from above.

This was not Harwood being 'one bad apple', this was the modus operandi of the police on that operation.Harwood was simply unlucky to have had one of his attackees die shortly after the assault, and be caught on film.

At the end of that day, before news of Tomlinson's death came out, the police were saying it had been relatively quiet, and the media were parroting it. And I agree, the police have been a lot more violent in similar situations before.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index