86 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Edited May 16, 2011, 05:31
Re: Ian Tomlinson unlawfully killed
May 16, 2011, 05:07
The edit happened prior to your response, but that doesn't change anything anyway. So much time here seems to be spent not discussing X or Y, but defining what discussing actually is. Stating your position then refusing to justify or question it is not discussing. It's just a rant. The point Goldacre made is precisely that. We're not alone in our little online niche. It happens everywhere, from the highest to the lowest. Here questions get asked. It's not just "David Cameron is a twat", although that happens too. (too often in my opinion (if we're used to perpetual growth as a norm, and posters defend the norm, shouldn't we be trying to amend our arguments?)

The second part was inflammatory. I get fed up with trying to nail the same old jelly to the same old wall. I stand by it though. All it takes to provoke abuse is to ask someone to justify their beliefs.

And now you've resorted to calling me Merrick's lapdog. Thanks, but to an extent true in this case. The oringinal analogy about scammers etc, I chose not to respond to at the time. Merrick's posts outlining what was going on struck a chord, and I responded "Because...?" partly to make a point, and partly to emphasise Merrick's point.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index