Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Edited May 27, 2009, 13:07
Greens in Leeds
May 27, 2009, 13:07
necropolist wrote:
The lead Green candidate in Yorkshire is one of the idiots who entered a coalition with the tories in Leeds, so my opinion of him isnt exactly high.

Still, i really respect what happened next.

The governing Tory/LibDem/Green coalition wanted to build a PFI incinerator for the city's rubbish. The Greens were put in the odd position of arguing against their own administration's policy!

When the Tory/LibDems pushed ahead with the plan the Greens did the right thing and resigned from the coalition. They've since continued to speak out against the incinerator for all the right reasons. (I wrote a piece about it http://bristlingbadger.blogspot.com/2009/04/burn-baby-burn.html)

That's no small thing for them to have resigned. Those Green seats were needed to make the coalition have a majority, so we can imagine the sweeteners they were offered.

And then there's the obvious that doesn't even need saying - as part of the governing body you get a much larger voice and the ability to make many more things happen than you will as a couple of people sat at the back. Full marks to them for their behaviour in Leeds.

It's the exact opposite with the Greens in Ireland who were outside the government but then sold out on all their principles to become part of the ruling coalition.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index