Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 26, 2009, 16:11
Re: Stop Nick Griffin
May 25, 2009, 08:30
Indeed that's true.

They do stand a very good chance of pulling in some new people and not just in post industrial towns either and the last couple of years I have heard a few more people starting sentences with words like "I'm not BNP but ....". There are even people on this web site who have written about, for example, Muslims in this country as if they are a single, indivisible entity. Though that kind of thinking can extend to any minority.

That said the "but" is important. I don't see the far right getting past a basic stumbling block - that they are associated in most people's minds with a section of society that the new voters they need to rally would cross the street to avoid. If you follow me.

Post Edward Heath voting Tory for a lot of people is an aspirational class statement. MPs have to do a lot more than fiddle some expenses to separate the families who turned Tory under Thatcher from that attachment. Even the ones who switched to Blair are unlikely to lurch that far the other way,

Class snobbery and what Martin Amis called "Tramp Dread" run a lot deeper than Islamophobia. Of course you have to read between the lines of the Express and Mail to get that one. Islamophobia might be the headline. House prices are always the sub text. Just as it was in the 70s.

In the age of celebrity and reality tv how many celebs in the last 35 years have come out in favour of the far right in this country? Buster Motram (though celebrity is pushing it a bit in his case), Clapton and er .... who else?

Can you really see anyone with any clout or any of the Nation's Sweethearts, a John Terry, an Alan Sugar, a Cheryl Cole, a Ricky Hatton ever coming out in their support? Will never happen because we really have moved past all that crap and extemism is really bad for business. . Of course the far left will tell you that there is a fascist bogey man in the hedgerow, a Kaister Soze spook story, but then every yin has to have its yang. The far left has no meaning without its opposite number. Meawhile the Greens will continue to outdraw the BNP in a national poll.

BNP is at best/worst a protest vote (compare their 2004 European Election result with the General Election in 2005) and I would not be surprised to see their vote in June near 1m and then drop under 400k at the next GE. I would actually take it as a positive if short of 1m people are prepared to vote for them in this climate.

When it comes down to it people are looking for a safe pair of hands not a white riot. Cameron landslide not Bluewater Putsch or Night of the Steak Knives.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index