Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 07, 2009, 13:34
Re: Stop Nick Griffin
Jun 06, 2009, 12:05
stray wrote:
So while it is shitty that they have won anything, they probably will not retain those seats, and the rest of the council will hopefully isolate them successfully.

Over the years Private Eye has run a series of stories about their general ineptitude as councillors in various wards. I don't know what their re-election rate is like but I bet it isn't above average.

Even if as many as 1m people vote for the far right in these elections I would see that as a result for the rest of us given the general climate of fear and loathing generated by the tabs (swine flu, penury, sex offenders, asylum seekers, political correctness, teenagers and Islam in no particular order being the main sources of copy for the fear mongerers).

There was something on the radio this am about the English Democrats splitting the race fear/hate vote. I know nothing about them but they seem to be trying to offer a warm beer, cricket and brown cardigan form of libertarianism with just enough xenophobia to contest some of the BNP's ground in middle class and rural areas.

When you read the manifestos this was mainstream rank and file Tory thought 30 years ago and anti semitism was never the preserve of a fringe. Things really have moved on if we now consider those views as being firmly out on the far right.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index