Life and Death

37 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Re: Evil Edna?
Aug 04, 2003, 14:56
I'd certainly agree that there are some very worthwhile things on TV - I'm a big fan of wildlife programmes as well! And the autism programme you & Moon Cat mention sounds like a good one, too. And I surely agree with Moon Cat's comments about always having the option of turning it off! Its just that when I look at the SUM TOTAL of what spews out of the TV I have to say that it is, on the whole, bad for people. I wish more people would have Moon Cat's awareness of the off switch! I know from my own experience just how easy it is to waste hours sitting there watching stuff that you don't actually like. I've heard it suggested that TV is like a drug. It involves all of your senses in such a way as to make thoughts of your own impossible. Only its more dangerous than a drug, because not only are thoughts of your own impossible but you are actually having thoughts planted in your head by those who made the programmes. Clearly, if the programme maker is David Attenbrough you've got nothing to worry about. But not every programme maker is that benign...

Maybe I'm just one of those two old men at the back of the Muppet Show! Would you like to join me on this balcony?
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index