Life and Death

37 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: Evil Edna?
Aug 04, 2003, 14:01
I think the world without TV is best only considered in Ray Bradbury novel's (I like to dream I'm Uncle Einar BTW), I for one, have garnered plenty of stuff from the TV that has only fed a curiosity about the world we live. Always watched wildlife docs, like food, gulp gulp! Regarding the 'religious right', and the special effects violence vs real nipple' debate, well, it kind of makes sense, but I'm not wholly convinced that's the full story. And as for banality, well, I like a bit of banality, but I'm far too shy of being called an intellectual snob not to go gooey-eyed over Big Brother et al. Or am I?!! HAhahHAHA. I AM like my dad! ARGH. It's not immorality' that concerns me ('moralic acid' is what I call 'morality'), but dishonesty, and there is so much dishonesty on TV it's both laughable and heart wrenchingly sad. I remember Jamie Theakston and some half-baked 'look at me' bint presenting Glastonbury, it was an epiphany to me. Whilst detailing the number of deaths that had prompted Water Aid to become involved with the festival, she was grinning, and desperate to launch back into that 'yoof' persona that the TV 20-30 somethings are so fond of. It precludes anything interesting to be of worth. TV, in my opinion, is hugely implicated in the perpetuity and growth of the ME ME ME mentality. It's like living thru the yuppie years again, in constant re-run, I can still see the fake grins, except they are bigger than ever. It's not morals I have a problem with, as I say, it's phoney, fake, dishonest pap laced with patriotic propaganda The cherry on top is the lack of enquiry and exploration within the medium. TV could be a hugely positive force for change, something it has done in the past, and present in small amounts, but it's like we have to have airtime chock full of pap to justify the odd gem. Like Moon Cat said earlier, a program about autism (a subject close to my heart) was a wonderful thing. But it's Brit TV that does those things the best. In the US I have 99 channels of mostly pap. I'm worried that Britain has that to look forward to, although happily I can't see the Brits flooding the world with movies about how they 'whupped the redskins/turban'ed bearded ones/commies collective arses in pursuit of a free and righteous world'. And WHY, when the world is vast, full of many colours, creeds, cultures, thoughts, history, love, loss, insects, birds, water air and land and millennia of history, do we have to see 70% of films having a GUN as the main actor?

Ooops, I forgot, I should embrace guns as a cultural icon.

gah. Nipples.

I remember writing on here a while back
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index