37 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Re: where do you draw the line then ?
Aug 02, 2003, 11:00
> What do you feel about it Stray?

I feel its way too dangerous to legislate in anyway to try and sort it out. I agree with what you're saying, the double standards are sickening, but we have to accept it. I take comfort in what Jem cohen said (quote not exact, memory poor) 'The more the mass media craves attention the more people turn their back on it'. Or somesuch.

TV is a captive market, it's content is controlled by a few who live under the myth that their just following and servicing the viewing figures. They aren't. If all you can eat is shit, all you will eat is shit. Thats really how TV works.

And yes, not owning a TV is a 'holier than thou' attitude ;) Becuase, to some extent you're removing yourself from society, as most of society connects itself thru it to some degree. to a lot of people its hard to communicate with other people if you can't discuss what was on the box last night. And, tbh, there is some good stuff on TV, its just getting much harder to find. My own experience of US TV is it's impossible to find ;). and, well, bottom line in the US is their TV is a lot more censored than ours is (on their terrestrial/non cable channels).

Violence is uncensored, sex is censored. Thats an accurate reflection of the cultural norms of the society though. This isn't the case on Brazilian TV where neither is censored particularly.

But as I said, more people are turning their back on TV, the average viewing hours have been dropping over the last few years.

The only way to improve TV is to improve everything outside of TV. It's an issue with too many complexities, quick fix impossible. I watch a lot, even the crap, but then I used to be a video artist, and it's my medium (lame excuse anyone ?). I find it an important tool to keep in touch with the general norms and tastes of the country I live in.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index