37 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Hall of Mirrors
Aug 02, 2003, 12:31
"Thats an accurate reflection of the cultural norms of the society though"

Don't believe you! I was thinking hard about this very same thing yesterday, and it hit me like a thunderbolt, there IS no society, there is no such thing as the 'general society', the norms themselves are not 'society', and they are mutable, fluxing constantly, they are just 'behaviours'? Society is a term I used to use, very lazily. I need an argument to back it up or knock it down. Again, I don't see TV as a reflection of it's viewer's taste (demographics aren't 'society' either), more like a hall of TV mirrors, and the space between the viewer and the box. As Moon Cat said, it's a tool, but I think (correct me if I'm wrong MC) that meant a tool for the viewr, to switch on or switch off? It's also a tool for propaganda, and a willing medium for stereotyping racial/cultural monsters firmly in a national consciousness. In that I get lost, I know 50's US TV was so fiercely "Commies are Evil and After Our Precious Fluids", but it didn't just 'reflect' the viewers thinking, it fed the notion with more ferocity than voracity?
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index