Life and Death

37 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: where do you draw the line then ?
Aug 01, 2003, 17:23
Drawing a line isn't the point as far as I see it Stray? We are responsible for our own entertainment, and TV is nothing but an option. There is the unfortunate fact that TV is so omniporesent and culturally ingrained that to *not* own or view a TV instantly excludes any individual/family from a large chunk of our culture. There is also the STIGMA attached, NOT watching or owning TV is obviously a sign of SNOBBERY, HOLIER THAN THOSE stuff. But back to the matter of content. I love watching movies, I adore cinematography, mostly the storytelling aspect, etc etc. The problem I have is the general censorship, and the way it affects society. Why censor a backside or a swear word, whilst it's ok to display graphic violence, racial stereotypes being whupped on constant re-run ad-nauseum etc etc. Lets have less censorship, I'm sure reality bites much harder than airbrushed patriot-tales. I'm also sure that constant re-runs of 'Bum-Fight' (whereby homeless, mentally ill people are paid to beat each other, and themselves) would begin to pall after a while, maybe even turn a few people on to community care ;-) Thing is, TV bosses have fresh blood in every child. people may get sick of the endless pap, but guess what? People spit out new punters daily, and they can soak it up too. I'm sounding patronising now, am having an OD. I suspect the rub is, as ever, the CASH. TV is driven by advertising revenue. As Bill Hicks said, 'give 'em chainsaws' (WWF).

What do you feel about it Stray?

Onwards and backwards.

PS, just watched 'Donny Darko', GREAT film!

Morfeulah x
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index