100 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Dec 31, 2014, 17:33
Re: Start the Week - Radio 4
Dec 31, 2014, 17:29
Thanks for this Moss - decided to sit down with my headphones on and have a listen this afternoon (chocolates to hand). A very interesting discussion indeed - ley-lines touched on briefly with reference to Alfred Watkins who was really talking about sight-lines and John Michell who converted them into earth energy lines. The discussion covered art, prehistoric sites, pagans of West Penwith, history of Glastonbury and much more. The bit I really found interesting was the folk lore of the Linden (Lime) Tree which is held sacred in Germany as the Oak is in this country. English tenor Ian Bostridge talked about Winterreise or 'Winter's Journey' by Schubert (a series of songs) which I had never heard of until listening to this discussion.

Very enjoyable and informative (I'll forgive Andrew Marr for his throw away remark about Swindon). The contributors said what their personal 'sense of place' was at the end of the programme - mine is Uffington and Avebury/Silbury. Uffington because it always says I'm nearing Wiltshire and home. Avebury and Silbury because they are the 'beating heart' of Wiltshire.

Curiously I didn't hear dowsing mentioned once - maybe I missed it while noisily unwrapping a Lindor dark chocolate.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04vk6kr
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index