131 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Re: Carn Goedog
Nov 24, 2013, 22:56
"were they on St.David's Head path?"

Not sure, Looking at the O.S. from streetmap, the Pembrokehire Coastal Path passes very near by. From the rather large car park at White Sands Bay, you cut right through the old (medieval?) burial ground to a small islet on the right hand edge of the beach. The stones were eroding out above the natural causeway/ scramble to the little island (Trwynhwrddyn) next to Porth Lleuog. A sure fire draw for our ancient forbears, or those of a hermetic nature. There's a camp site just behind on a hill with a curious outcrop of rocks on top to.

Yeah, music and travel go hand in hand for me. It was a fair trek across the hills to Carn Menin/Geodogfrom the car park on the B4329. Guess you can call it a pilgrimage of sorts, as I'd been desperate to get to the Preselli Hills for years after many a Welsh holiday neary. The whole of Pembrokeshire is a magical place, a friend said it was like Cornwall 20 odd years ago before the hoards decended, and I've gotta say, he was spot on. Can't wait to go back next year. Much like Ireland (with which I'm sure the region shares many ancient monument traditions) you can't go far without stumbling across something impossibly ancient and man made.

I get what your saying about the 'Ur' nature of the outcrops, the whole area feels free and uninhibited, even though your surrounded by dwellings at the foot of the hills. The constant wind drowns out any background noise, and your just left with your thoughts (and music if your me :) Plus I'd forgotten, Geodog looks out onto the magnificent hill of Carnigli, A most impressive hill that looks massive from anywhere North of the Preselli's. Deffo one to climb next time I'm in the area.

I got the same feeling trudging around some parts of Angelsey a few years back, that timelessness, you could be anywhere/anytime vibe you get in remote and anciently ihabited places.

As for the horse, great idea. If you took one up onto the hills, you could use extra long reigns to 'hobble' it. As long as there's grass to munch, they don't stray far. Mind you, Preselli was strewn with beautiful 'wild' ponies whilst I was there, maybe that would lure your steed astray.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index