Carn Goedog

131 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Re: Carn Goedog
Nov 23, 2013, 18:39
Fascinating info/ insight into the bluestone origins. Weirdly, whilst up in the Preselli's and looking from Carn Menyn to the Carn Geodog outcrop I got to thinking it looked more 'exclusive' than Menyn (it's a lot smaller for one thing, and looks North and East to Cardigan bay and the sea).

Anyhoo, in a weird syncronous moment I just posted a few pics on my blog 'bout a trip/ holiday to Pembrokeshire last summer, which took in various megalithic sites and tombs. May have to amend some of the captions now if I want accuracy.

Took in Carn Geodog and Carn Menyn (Menin) as well as Carn Sion and Bedd Arthur and a few other spots along the ridge on a holiday walk. It's a bit of a trudge from end to end if you walk West to East, certainly seems longer doing the ridge than the distance would suggest by looking at the O.S. map. Guess it's the up and down nature of the hike. Whole ridge walk is littered with small 'rocks' of pure white quartz. Dunno if they are natural to the underlying strata, but most of the obvious rock outcrops seem to be bluestones/ spotted dolerite of some description or other. Thought it curious at the time, as I didn't notice many lower down (but then again, I probably wasn't looking at my feet with such beautiful views).

There are about four (I'm guessing here)'burial mounds' amongst the 'clitter' around the base of Carn Sion that are very similar in nature to some slightly larger ones atop Corndon Hill in Shropshire.

On the last day we spent some time at White Sands Bay near St. David's and found a whole bunch of long 'bluestones' eroding out of a sea cliff overlooking the beach and small adjoining bay. Curiousy got to (wishful)thinking that maybe they were some stones that were in transit but go left behind. It's almost on most Westerly point of Pembs. Probably nothing, but hey, you can wish :)

Have a quick peek if your interested, only a few pics, won't take long :)

http://soundmirrors.blogspot.co.uk/
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index