The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Carn Goedog

Pages: 14 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Carn Goedog
Nov 19, 2013, 12:06
I've read that the location has been suggested previously, but this is news to me anyhow :

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/origin-stonehenges-blue-stones-pinpointed-6317230

Another step closer to the answer?
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Carn Goedog
Nov 19, 2013, 12:32
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
I've read that the location has been suggested previously, but this is news to me anyhow :

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/origin-stonehenges-blue-stones-pinpointed-6317230

Good news! It lies near to the path from the verge parking at Dan-y-garn, about a mile and a half along the path over the ridge, and west of Carn Meini and there I was writing about the Preselis this morning and feeling homesick for the place......
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Nov 19, 2013, 13:05
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

Or further away when it changes again in true Stonehenge fashion.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Edited Nov 19, 2013, 13:11
Nov 19, 2013, 13:10
I wish I knew enough about geology to know exactly what the positive ID really means. Reading brians mountain man blog will have to do for now.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Nov 19, 2013, 13:12
moss wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

Good news! It lies near to the path from the verge parking at Dan-y-garn, about a mile and a half along the path over the ridge, and west of Carn Meini and there I was writing about the Preselis this morning and feeling homesick for the place......

An area i've yet to explore, but its definitely on the list.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Nov 19, 2013, 13:26
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
I wish I knew enough about geology to know exactly what the positive ID really means. Reading brians mountain man blog will have to do for now.

I wonder if a location just a mile away from where previously thought, is really going to rock the archaeological world? Knowing how and why they ended up at SH are the real money shots I would have thought!
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Nov 19, 2013, 13:30
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

I wonder if a location just a mile away from where previously thought, is really going to rock the archaeological world? Knowing how and why they ended up at SH are the real money shots I would have thought!

I don't suppose its about rocking the archaeological world so much, more about identifying the provenance of the stones. If that becomes certain, I suppose the task is to look for indications of human involvement (or lack of).
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 19, 2013, 13:36
I think it *may* turn out to be a huge step. If they know exactly where to look and they find a half-worked blue stone under the turf it'll be pretty much a win for the human transport party. There'll be a heck of a scramble to set up projects.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Nov 19, 2013, 14:09
nigelswift wrote:
I think it *may* turn out to be a huge step. If they know exactly where to look and they find a half-worked blue stone under the turf it'll be pretty much a win for the human transport party. There'll be a heck of a scramble to set up projects.

That's true and it's come just in time for the opening of the new VC :-)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 19, 2013, 14:13
Actually, EH missed a trick, transport from the VC to the stones should have been on blue stones on wheels.
Pages: 14 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index