131 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Carn Goedog
Nov 21, 2013, 23:49
tjj wrote:
An interesting conversation George - I do drop by for a read from time to time. With regard to Peter Knight, I agree the level of his appeal is very much dependent on your mind set. I used to bump into him from time to time a few years back showing groups around Avebury (on one occasion he was chanting inside WKLB). I also met him in the Henge Shop one winter solstice when he was promoting his book 'The Wessex Astrum' (co-written with Toni Perrott). I bought a copy - am sure you know it is about ley lines connecting ancient and sacred site throughout Wessex. I saw his book on the Cerne Abbas Giant last time I was in Avebury, almost bought it as it did look interesting but resisted as instinctively knew it would be more of the speculative fare. I'm not in the 'prove it or forget it' camp. Some phenomena (if that is what ley lines are) just cannot be proved, perhaps because they don't exist - who knows. Peter Knight strikes me as someone who makes some sort of a living writing books about his theories and there seem to be plenty of takers. Just as Tracey from Margate does with her own brand of art.

No I didn't know about the content of the Wessex Astrum , June .
The problem with a lot of that stuff is that when they do get into stating falisfiable stuff it can be shown to be wrong.
If it's just the tooth fairy visited last night there's nothing we can say , and like Tracey it's just a matter of tatste whether you buy into it or not . But because on those rare occasions when they do venture into the factual territory the fact that they do get it wrong so often is telling .
In the Cerne case he makes a statement that can be shown to be meaningless , as the same phenomena he describes can be seen today .He is attempting to make it appear that as it was seen in the IA there may well be a connection with the time of build which is daft as nobody would suggest it was built yesterday .Further there is no reason to accept the viewing point, either in the IA or today as salient .The obvious suggestion would be to look along the length of the club or from the scrotum along the direction of the erection not some amorphous " viewed from the hills opposite or the valley below. " .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index