Modern memorials as 'ancient monuments'

120 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Re: Modern memorials as 'ancient monuments'
Oct 01, 2012, 23:14
The design of the motif is such that it should be clear to anyone familiar with them that it's not contemporary with the other CnRs in the neighbourhood.

I think if the internets vanished, then it'd perhaps be in response to some kind of global electro-magnetic-pulse style disruption of communications, in which case the data appertaining to the site would hopefully survive intact on tma's servers. In the event of such a communications calamity, society would probably have enough things on it's plate than wondering about the provenance of rock carvings. However, I'd like to think that if the organic effluvia really did hit the blades of a rotating air conditioning device, this carving in particular would yield useful info under scrutiny. Like the older ones, it's 'tail' points downslope, and indicates the nearby watersource. It also points in the direction of The Netherlands, as that's appropriate given it's raison d'etre.

And it really, really looks modern. I think even if you were to stumble across it with no prior knowledge of prehistoric RA, you'd cast one glance and think 'Well that looks like some bugger's just bashed the rock with a pointy bit of metal'. It's blatantly new and shiny, even compared to the old RA where the carvings have laid buried and the peck marks are evident, the shapes of each peck are very different when done with metal as compared to stone.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index