Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
What's acceptable when interacting with sites?

141 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
summerlands
192 posts

Re: What's acceptable when interacting with sites?
May 21, 2011, 09:42
I have to say, I'm obviously in the minority of those who have commented, but I think (on the whole) Facebook is great! I get a feed of news and interesting content from organisations, individuals, companies who I am interested in (and if I decide I am no longer interested I simply click the x and *poof* they are gone, I have instant control unlike a paper mailing lists, or advertising billboards, or annual memberships...). I keep up with a huge diverse group of friends and family in one place in a manner that lets me interact and share as much or as little as I wish and read as much or little as I wish. I can share pics of child no3's sports day to all interested with just a few min's work. I work at home on my own, and it's a great way of passing the time of day (as you would in an office, on the way to the photocopier or kettle), networking, sharing ideas - making the job less lonely. I don't have *actual* work colleagues, but I do have virtual ones.

I'm a banterer, I banter at the school gates, chat in the supermarket, pass the time of day with my neighbours - the internet is no different. If I have a funny thought I may share it on FB, if I feel like sharing my irritation about something, or posting a photo of some random thing that's made me smile, then I do. what I post to FB is no more or less substantial or important as what 75% of what I chat to folk in real life about, it's just a different way of doing it. I'm sure the folk that weren't interested to know via FB that I've 'just eaten the best cheese sandwich *ever*' are the same ones that weren't all that fussed to know I was buying wine to go to a BBQ and had just got over a cold when I saw them in the corner shop ;-)

It's also an incredibly useful business tool - I know *many* small craftspeople, work at home parents, SME's who make a huge chunk of their turnover directly through Facebook marketing / promotion. It's not just for chocolate bar companies who pay for huge marketing campaigns that pop up ads down the side, but lots of small enterprises making free pages and asking people to share the word if they like what they do, building and keeping up relationships with potential customers they would otherwise not find.

There are some total nutters about on there - but as has been said, so are there everywhere. And one persons nutter is another’s fellow mad enthusiast / eccentric great aunt ;-) It's the same filtering as you apply in real life - only easier!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index