Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
What's acceptable when interacting with sites?

141 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
summerlands
192 posts

Re: What's acceptable when interacting with sites?
May 19, 2011, 07:23
Ha ha! Given the latest posts on the thread I feel at this point I should point out I've never been one to leave offerings (of any sort! 8-0 !!) at a site. Yikes, you guys have had some interesting experiences...

My worries always come down to errosion, actually making the decision to visit them at all (I've resisted visiting Tigh na Cailleach so far for this reason), how 'close' you get to them without risking damage (as I said, walking over cairns or barrows, entering chambers, leaning against standing stones, etc) and I suppose the main thing I was thinking as posting is about handling stones - after reading up a lot of damage to rock art recently, visiting rock art sites with barriers, etc it's set me up to be a bit worried about rubbing / touching other stones. How much damage can we really do with hands? One hand is one hand, but thousands of hands...

On acccess my personal feeling is we should have access, on the whole, but we shouldn't feel we can demand access without common sense and sensitivity.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index